Hood River climbing?

adventuregal

Hello!!! I'm just curious if there's climbing close to Hood River? I'll be out there again this summer working, and am super stoked to check out the climbing in the area.... assuming there is some? I just started climbing this winter in the gyms of Minnesota and cannot wait to be on real rock! I'll be heading West as soon as I'm done with school, which will be early May and will be around through August. If anyone in the area is looking for a climbing partner during the summer, please let me know!!! I would love to go! This damn sport is so addictive it has forced me to post this 3 months before I will even be in town. I am simply living in anticipation of the sweet summer to come. cool.gif Thanks!!!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hood River Oregon is an awsome place! I visit there every July for the Gorge games! The best place to climb (in my opinion)would be Smith Rock. It's about two hours south, it's one of my fav places to climb! Weekends are a bit busy though. I know there are some local climbers who will have other places to go that might not be such a drive. I'll be going by Hood river on my way to Smith many times this Spring and summer and you are more than welcome to join in. Just pm me when you get in and we'll hook up.

Bulo Point, Pete's Pile and Horsethief Butte are all a LOT closer than Smith and usually quite a bit less crowded. Lambertson Butte has some pretty spectacular routes as well if you like climbing on cascade choss. Mountaineering opportunities abound as well. Pick up a copy of Portland Climbing (second edition) and see if you can scare up a copy of Nick Dodge's out of print guide as well.

Sounds like you're going to have a fun summer.