Black Diamond Pitons

Billygoat

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She made it sound like they would not be available any more. confused.gif

Yeah, I agree with you Iain, they will be just like Sears. I could not believe it when they bought ascension and then lately they fucked up those Skye bindings...what's next cantfocus.gif ? BTW, are the Camp pitons made by the same Italian manufacturer as the BD ones?

The only news I see on the BD website is that BD was named a sales partner of the year with REI. Here's a link to the latest BD press releases:

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/bd/press.html#021003

It also mentions the other companies "associated" with BD:

Ascension, Beal Ropes, Bibler Tents, Franklin Climbing Equipment and SCARPA Footwear.

With a major corner on American pitons, I seriously doubt they would give that up. Grivel is probably the second most prolific distributor of pitons with smaller companies like Leeper behind them.

Given the demand for pins nowadays (getting smaller every day) it wouldn't surprise me. Just make up an extra big production run and store them in the warehouse. The BD Lost Arrows are the same as the camp Lost Arrows - their other pins are not quite the same.

As for manufacturing - BD actually produces a bunch of stuff on site in SLC - that's why they were hiring machinists. They're fairly unique that way - most companies don't "make" anything themselves anymore. I.e pretty much all of your clothing comes from foreign contract shops nowadays, with the company only handling design, marketing & distribution (liek Cloudveil).

Why do you say that demand for pins is getting smaller? There are more people alpine climbing in the mountains, aid climbing is more popular, and more people doing the harder lines on El Cap. Seems to me that they should be selling more pins than ever...or at least since the 90's.

Well, maybe REI is going to discontinue carrying the hardware because they don't move fast enough. Shelf space is $. And REI definitley figured out that soft goods move and the profit margin is huge. Face it, aid and true alpine climbers are a small demographic averaging little disposable income when compared to the pile wearing, latte swilling masses... tongue.gif

All I know is, she was surprised I was buying pitons and warned me about an internal company memo stating Black Diamond pitons would no longer be available... confused.gif

Maybe this reflects REI transitioning from hardware to software and goes along with an earlier thread about sales clerks there not knowing the difference between static and dynamic ropes. wazzup.gif

It would be less hassle for REI if they would just stop selling most of their climbing gear. That way, the sales staff wouldn't have to worry their heads about actually knowing anything about very technical and there would be fewer of these embarrassing situations. Same goes for their backcountry ski section. I think it must be true that they would make quite a bit more per ft2 of floor space if they just brought in several more racks of pile clothing or cedar dog beds.

All I know is, she was surprised I was buying pitons and warned me about an internal company memo stating Black Diamond pitons would no longer be available...

a couple of months ago I was at the store in Jantzen Beach and bought a #3 bug ... I had to laugh when the sales guy remarked ... "wow I've never sold any of these nails before" .... I would guess the premise of REI no longer carrying them is what's up ... could be a good time to get some deals during the spring sale