Climbing Specialization Chart

wayne

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for the big picture. But where's Trash Climbing fit in? I mean in the vein of Tim & Mike's outlandish gorge adventures: Nesmith Super Direct, Patagonian Trade Route, Mystery Pillars ... Tim was calling it "Patagonian Adventure Climbing", while Mike was for "S**t Climbing", but after sampling a couple routes I suggested "Trash". It's an old and honorable, demanding form with its own unique challenges and wide ranging possibilities, if less refined & widely appreciated these days, for which our hoem region is uncommonly rich in potential.

Tim was saying that he'll include his unpublished guide to this aspect of the gorge in the next edition PRC, so it'd be only fittind to provide the idiom with some degree of recognition, eh?

- XC

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DON'T CALL ME WHITE

DON'T CALLLL ME WHITE

DON'T CALL ME WHITE

DON'T CALLLL ME WHITE

The connotations wearing my nerves thin

Could it be semantics generating the mess we’re in?

I understand that language breeds stereotype

But what’s the explanation for the malice, for the spite? wave.gif

thumbs_up.gifGreat chart, Wayne! That took some thought. I will forward the link along to my friends and family that just don't get it. I think this will answer a lot of questions. For example, so many civilians think that "free climbing" means climbing without a rope. That can't be farther from the truth! Free climbing encompasses several asspects of the sport, which you have so handily shown in your chart. They also don't understand the difference between clean climbing and aid climbing. Maybe a short phrase in small font under clean climbing (removable protection used to protect leader from ground fall, but not used for upward progress) or under aid climbing (bolts, pitons not removed and used for upward progress) Great chart! I think you should try to get it published somewhere!

Whoa now. You completely forgot "climbing stoned".

And what about climbing clueless? That is the purest form of climbing. Remember carving points on sticks and kicking steps with waffle stompers? How about belaying with a waterskiing rope? Or freesoloing in tandem after a bongfest? There's a lot missing from that board!

Never-the-less, I like it. bigdrink.gif