Pack questions

Old_Man

Looking for a lightweight pack to use for day "mountaineering" trips in the Cascades. Like to carry pickets and wands in side pockets, so it'll also need to have some wand pockets & side compression straps. Ought to be a top loader to handle some overloading at times (like slowshoes, or whatever), with a reasonable but not overkill waistbelt. Don't need the salesman's answer for all the bells and whistles either, that beats the competitors' models in terms of benefits & features. Rather...would like a purely functional and lightweight pack (less than 2-3 lbs??), that can carry gear and clothing...like what's needed on a cold weather less traveled/steeper route on Rainier. Doesn't have to be extremely comfortable, but then again, needs to handle the job for 15-20 hours. Any favorites out there?

Gracias in advance! moon.gif

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been using the BD Ice Sack for awhile now and love it. I found a deal direct from BD ... a sale on old packs. They also make a smaller version that may be better for what you want.

My girlfriend also looked at an Osprey this weekend that looked interesting ... but it also had almost too many whistles like the old Mountainsmith packs. Can't remember the model, but it was an alpine pack.

I noticed on the opspreys that they would be difficult to carry wands and pickets on.

I'm also looking for a small alpine pack that can be used for craggin, and alpine rock and ice climbing. so far I like the wild things Freny and Ice sack, and I want to check out the granite gear alpine lite. I have yet to determine exactly what volume will suit my needs the best.

I have both a Wild Things Ice Sac and a Serratus Icefall (from MEC www.mec.ca). For anything over a few pounds I much prefer the Icefall, mostly because it has 2 removable stays that allow it carry weight much better. Also I think the lid compartment of the Icefall is much better. Even though it is larger and has a frame (the stays) the Icefall weighs about the same as the Ice Sac and, if desired, you can save weight by taking the lid and stays off. I would guess that Ice Sac is more durable though. Oh, and the Icefall is half the cost of the Ice Sac.

Dr_Flash_Amazing said:

Khamsin 52 rockband.gif ! Carries like a dreamy Cadillac, too. Redefining "plush suspension."

Save $100 and get a MEC Icefall. It's lighter too and doesn't have that stupid pack-lid-into-fanny-pack crap thing that A't does. But I guess the Icefall doesn't have that "plush" hypalondynatechtra crampon patch though Geek_em8.gif

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT<>prd_id=15001&FOLDER<>folder_id=496963&bmUID=1045636852486

Old_Man said:

Looking for a lightweight pack to use for day "mountaineering" trips in the Cascades. Like to carry pickets and wands in side pockets, so it'll also need to have some wand pockets & side compression straps. Ought to be a top loader to handle some overloading at times (like slowshoes, or whatever), with a reasonable but not overkill waistbelt. Don't need the salesman's answer for all the bells and whistles either, that beats the competitors' models in terms of benefits & features. Rather...would like a purely functional and lightweight pack (less than 2-3 lbs??), that can carry gear and clothing...like what's needed on a cold weather less traveled/steeper route on Rainier. Doesn't have to be extremely comfortable, but then again, needs to handle the job for 15-20 hours. Any favorites out there?

www.mchalepacks.com

Somebody had to say it. Read on my friend and welcome to the promise land of backpacks.... bigdrink.gif

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/threadz/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB9&Number=69182&page=5&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

For your purposes, I'd either go with a Wild Things Ice Sac or a Wild Things Andinista. They're both light, they both have lots of accessory loops and daisy chains, and they're very well made. I would go with the Andinista because of it's versatility (you can zip it down smaller for day trips). The weight difference is negligible between the Andinista and the Ice Sac considering the huge difference in volume between the two.

Also if you haven't looked into LaFuma's packs, give them a look. I have the Baltoro 70 and I love it ... it's not light like the Andinista, but it's very comfortable, durable, and quite functional (minus the bells and whistles that the Wild Things packs offer). Things I like about the LaFuma : Well made (heavy fabric), 2 large [1.5 liter] water bottle pouches on each side, aluminum frame with arched construction and ample adjustability, the most comfortable pack I've ever carried, simple.

Things I don't like about the LaFuma : It's too simple. The LaFuma doesn't have enough accessory loops for me .. it looks like it was designed to carry only a mountaineer's axe (not ice tools). In order to pack on bivvy gear, brain bucket, snowshoes, snow shovel, skis, ski poles, etc you pretty much need to bring an extra 60m rope with you to tie it on there with. Other than that it's a great pack.

I have heard really good things about the Arc'teryx Khamsin series (my pops owns one), but have never personally carried one.

The Packs I own

Wild things Icesac - my favorite short alpine/ice climbing trips

Wild things Andinista - Great for long lightweight alpine trips

Cold Cold world Chernobyl - my favorite overnight Ice climbing pack

Arc’teryx NoZone - favorite long trails and bushwhacking approaches pack

Dana Design Bighorn - the king of my long backpacking and long craging pack

Dana Design Astralplane overkill - the Expedition base-camp load hauler

Dana Design New World - my favorite (with the A5 astropack) rock climbing craging overnight friends staying pack

I know this is excessive but that’s why I sold my 3 other packs I used to own

Trango Alpine, Gregory Reality, Lowe Alpine contour IV

Here's another vote for the Khamsin 52. It's simple (yes, even the lid/fanny pack is very straightforward and contrary to jordop, I use it a fair amount for trips out of a base camp). For the minimal suspension, it really does carry loads in the 20-45 lb. range very well. The only downside that I have been able to see after a few years with one is that it is pretty lightweight and can't take a lot of abuse. I like mine.

hasbeen said:

Here's another vote for the Khamsin 52. It's simple (yes, even the lid/fanny pack is very straightforward and contrary to jordop, I use it a fair amount for trips out of a base camp). For the minimal suspension, it really does carry loads in the 20-45 lb. range very well. The only downside that I have been able to see after a few years with one is that it is pretty lightweight and can't take a lot of abuse. I like mine.

On closer inspection, it turns out DFA has a Khamsin 50, and his lid does not convert to a fanny pack. But the Khamsin the Doctor has is not the same as the ones they're putting out now. Seems to be a little less alpine-specific than the newer ones.

Don't sweat the wand pocket if you find a pack that otherwise suits your needs. A Picket can easily be inserted beneath compression straps and locked on with a carabiner (better 2 of them) and for the relatively few times you will be carring wands, you can fashion a wand pocket by tieing a stuff sack on the side of your pack.