Help with TOPO!

David_Parker

Anyone out there have the Nat. Geo Topo software for maps. I got mine from my Dad for X-mas and it's pretty cool so far. My prob right now is I don't have a color printer at home. I tried to save as a jpg and email it to myself at work as an attachment, but I can't seem to make it a jpg and I don't have the program on my work computer. I tried pasting it into WORD, but it came out B&W anyway. Someone emailed me a TOPO once and it worked fine. I was able to print it in color here at work. Any suggestions??

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

David,

I have sometimes had problems saving jpeg images if I don't actually type in ".jpg" after the name I give the file (even if the software I'm using says it will be saving it as a jpeg). When I don't do this, the file comes out as one of those ones whose icon is a white piece of paper with the Microsoft logo on it.

You might try saving it by typing in "filename.jpg" instead of just "filename" with the assumption the jpg will be appended by the software. Might be your problem and it might not.

David,

I've got version 2.6.8

Click on File, Print Map ... (move crosshairs to center of image you want), Export Map to Disk ..., Choose Jpeg Best, Jpeg Good, or Jpeg Fair from the pulldown and give the file a name (you don't need to include the file extension, ie .jpg).

For more control instead of using "Export Map to Disk", choose "Copy Map" which puts the image on the clipboard, then you can paste it into a graphics program of your choice, where you can choose compression ratios, image size, etc ..

Wayne,

As far as I know the ubb code only works with .jpg and .gif

Wayne, if you're talking about the attachments thingamajig, I have done this a number of times using jpeg images. I don't know if bitmaps (.bmp) will work or not, but what I have found out is that the 100Kb limit for an attachment might mean 98Kb is what your file size must be (or less than 98Kb) in order to be uploaded to the website. Seems what your computer says a file size is may not be what CC.com thinks it is. I'll crop down an image so that it is under 100Kb, say 99Kb, and CC.com still won't take it. If I crop this down to 98Kb, then CC.com will take it. That's about all I know.

Thanks guys. I figured out how to "save" it as a jpg by exporting to a file such as my documents. However when I either try to open the jpg with a program like MS Photodraw or attach it to an email and open it from there, it still only comes out in black and white. What the hell is up with that? B&W is worthless!! Any hints??????