beginner climbing in the south

jstras

I've got the picture that there is no gym south of Seattle, but my nephew wants to get involved in climbing and has essentially no experience. He lives near Sumner. I'm in Berkeley so I can't take him. Are there any clubs or groups that he could join? etc?

Edited by jstras

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have your nephew post on cascadeclimbers.com. Perhaps he can find someone who will take him out and show him the ropes. I do know it is too late for him to enroll in the Mountaineers Basic Climbing Course this year. All the Branches' courses have started already.

There are always the various guide services like Alpine Ascents. However, their 6 day glacier climbing class alone is $990.

For that matter, there's always Martin Volkin and his company Pro Guide Service.

While the Mountaineers Basic Climbing classes have started, I do remember something about a scout troop that bailed on the BSA that was later adoped by the Mountaineers Youth Committee. You might check with them to see if they have anything going.