• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

trask said:

AlpineK said:

jon said:

mattp said:

gapertimmy said:

David_Parker said:

I'd say the cabin on 10 acres in Mazama I have access to. As soon as the No. Cascade Hwy opens which should be very early this year. It's only 16 miles to the pass. Obviously not everyone can sleep in the cabin, but it's a great base camp with plenty of room for tents.

rockband.gif

rockband.gifrockband.gif

rockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gif

rockband.gifrockband.gifmushsmile.gifmushsmile.gif

rockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gif

is this like paint by the numbers? rockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gif

rockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gifrockband.gif

HWY 20, Mazama, Cabin, Long weekend, Corn skiing and Corn squeezin's thumbs_up.gif

AlpineK said:

Yeah Colorado. Can sure suck folks in with their beautiful lifestyle. (puking icon)

That place is a hellhole and should be a proving ground for the neutron bomb.

As for snow they get a little bit of very nice snow with lots of extreem avy danger.

Couldn't have said it better myself laugh.gif It snows a bit, doesn't stick to anything steep, blows away, and slides and kills people. There are plenty of better places to see than CO. CO is great if you want to look like a good skier and schmooze with rich pricks who brag to everybody about their so called amazing snow.

JoshK said:

AlpineK said:

Yeah Colorado. Can sure suck folks in with their beautiful lifestyle. (puking icon)

That place is a hellhole and should be a proving ground for the neutron bomb.

As for snow they get a little bit of very nice snow with lots of extreem avy danger.

Couldn't have said it better myself laugh.gif It snows a bit, doesn't stick to anything steep, blows away, and slides and kills people. There are plenty of better places to see than CO. CO is great if you want to look like a good skier and schmooze with rich pricks who brag to everybody about their so called amazing snow.

Sour Grapes rolleyes.gifcry.gifthumbs_down.gif

Actually - I have to agree with JoshK and AlpineK on this one - when it comes to the snow/skiing out there. The only places in the state with terrain that compares to the stuff in the PNW are A-Basin and Crested Butte, and most years their better terrain is closed for half the season for lack of snow. There's also too much grooming, the dumps are few and far between, not to mention the hordes of wankers sporting one piece Euro-Suits with fur trim. And the snowpack is too damn lethal to be much fun until May.

Well, I had no problems leaving because of the crowds, squids and flatlanders. Plus the cost of living there was getting ridiculous. However, I loved the cool people I met there and the mountain town scene. It was so cold in the Butte that I never used skins because I could climb quite well with kick wax. I didn't own a tent cause it mostly never rained and if it did you just had to wait 15 minutes, I lived above 7000 feet for almost eight years. When I first came out here, I walked up Baker like it was a warmup. Because it is so high and dry there, you could hike in any direction and not have to fear the bushwack, the undergrowth is minimal. The San Juan mountains by Telluride and Silverton are more like here terrain wise, rugged. The snow in colorado especially in the San Juans and just west of Boulder can certainly be crap, but sometimes it is the best in the world. cool.gif I just appreciated the blast of cool Colorado air from Jules bigdrink.gif

AlpineK said:

Ok let's get back on subject.

Dave Parker are you 100% on this cabin thing?

I can bring a bunch of firewood if there's a place for a bonfire.

One of the other key issues is beer.

bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

the cabin is sweet. there are many a place for bonfires. out in the big field. next to the river!!!

For a group overnight, Smith Brook is good because it has easy flat road skiing into an area where there are in fact a few big trees left standing. There is good yoyo skiing up there, and a couple scenic lakes. It is not the best for classic big ski runs or ski mountaineering, however.

With the roads so much more open than usual, we might consider other destinations. If folks want to climb a real mountain on skis or carry snowboards up on snowshoes, Hidden Lakes Peak might make a good group destination.

With snowmobile support, the north side of Mount Cashmere might be good....

For great views if the weather is good, you don't have to go more than thirty minutes in just about any direction from Paradise to find a good place for digging snowcaves.

If you can't wait for the highway to open up so we can go visit Mr. Parker, there are lots of good places to go. If there is to be a Spring trip to Mazama and an earlier trip is to be a smaller group, planning the whole thing becomes more flexible...

I think the whole point of this thing is a party with skiing. I like ski camping, but I don't consider it a good party environment.

Smithbrook might make a good destination, but for a true party with skiing, waiting till later in the year and a cabin would be better.

Also what's up with trying to get two events together. You're just going to dillute the event.

Edited by AlpineK

Mr K-

I'm with you on the ski-party thing: a drive-up location with dry ground and a bonfire will allow many more people able to meet each other than will a winter-camping experience that requires skiing or snowshoeing with camping equipment. I don't think, however, that agenda would be threatened if a few hard-cores make an overnight trip this month or next. Some guys just happen to like to sit around in the snow, freezing their butts off while they wait for the stove to melt drinking water.

Perhaps we could combine this weekend skiing/beer guzzling event with a dirtbag backcountry race as was being talked about here:http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/threadz/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB1&Number=137444&page=4&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Just a thought... if we're up around Wash. Pass if anyone wanted to have a race we could make the dash up and over the col by S.Early Winter Spire and then down the chutes towards the hairpin turn.

Of course I'd be content booze it up for a couple days and ski Silver Star and the Sally Portman Birthday Traverse.

Billygoat said:

cool.gif I just appreciated the blast of cool Colorado air from Jules bigdrink.gif

Glad someone did, thanks, Billy! Other than myself, of course. Must say I was glad we weren't in a lift-assist ski area. Didn't see anyone not in my party except the 3 or 4 people staying in the hut a little further up the ridge.