Cascades Ice conditions

Alex

There is no shortage of people being secrative about new routes, here or anywhere.

I don't think it's all that unusual either. Look at how Strobach was developed. There were years (2-3?) of web reports before he revealed where the ice was. Then when he did, there was a bunch of information already available...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all reality, I dont think there is any thing wrong with not sharing new routes. If somebody did the work to scope it out and explore it and wants it to themselves, than I can certainly understand that. IN all reality, I think there is probably more ice in this state than people realize. It is out there for us to explore. Sure, it's a lot harder to get to than in Banff or Montna, but I bet more is out there. It's not like the ice they are hiding is some epic world class route. I'm sure there is plenty like it out there...when I get the time I hope to find some meselfs. bigdrink.gif

dbb said:

There is no shortage of people being secrative about new routes, here or anywhere.

I don't think it's all that unusual either. Look at how Strobach was developed. There were years (2-3?) of web reports before he revealed where the ice was. Then when he did, there was a bunch of information already available...

Look ma it's me. Thump thump thump. smirk.gif Yes of course areas are "secret". I just think your little clicks approach to web chestbeating is obvious.

cracked that's not really what it is. Ice climbig is kind of a drag lately. I've been preferring to ski anyway.

i am with ray on this one. if you find ice and don't want to share, then don't post about it. it IS cheastbeating.

and i would bet that it prolly has been climbed before, you just have to find the right people.

either way, glad you are out explorering.

erik and ray agreeing??? whoa dude! peace in the mideast is possible!!

i agree with both of em too. if its supposed to be a secret, dont publish ANYTHING about it. if it AINT a secret, then provide details as to location. the "here is this blah blah, gaperdelic, SECRET ICE that we dominated into submission with our manly picks" [insert 10 butt shots here] "cant tell you where it is BUT BUY THE GUIDEBOOK" yellowsleep.gifyellowsleep.gifyellowsleep.gifmaybe you can bundle Internet Explorer with it too rolleyes.gif

chucK said:

Has anybody actually asked them where it is, in a nice way? I'd bet they'd give it up in private.

If not, then it is sort of silly to post it to the internet. cantfocus.gif

uhhh chuck america is going to nuke the world, niceities at this point are pointless!

Many of us have done exclusive things, parties, slideshows, trips with local legends, etc, that we sprayed about and that other people were certainly not invited or even allowed in on.

The "super-secret" slideshow up in Canada comes to mind. In a subtle way, everyone was informed that it was happening, and who was invited.

And I can't even count the number of unidentified alpine ice pics that a leading sprayer has posted.

I've been in there three times now and the approach sucks in low snow or high snow. The ice is inconsistent and often mungy. So if the people who 'found' it and deemed it worthy want to keep the location to themselves until the guide comes out, then I think that's their perogative.

If you want ice mileage, you can leave Seattle and be climbing at Marble Canyon on good, consistent ice faster than you can get to this place.

And on top of that, what's been written hasn't been misleading (so far) and has more than enough info and hints for someone to figure it out if they really wanted to.

I hope the place comes in fat next year and all the lines get climbed and the two I've done get downrated because they are so fat and plastic.

-L

CascadeClimber said:

I hope the place comes in fat next year and all the lines get climbed and the two I've done get downrated because they are so fat and plastic.

-L

Why? Ice ratings are variable by nature. The difficultly depends on the day, as anyone who has climbed ice knows. And the two routes that you have climbed look tough in the conditions that you did them in.

(BTW great website)

And I can't even count the number of unidentified alpine ice pics that a leading sprayer has posted.

you cant count to 1? yellaf.gifyellaf.gifthat explains the fear of downgrading

if i climbed it i would tell where it is. tongue.gif

The "super-secret" slideshow up in Canada comes to mind. In a subtle way, everyone was informed that it was happening, and who was invited.

If you are talking about the Beckey slideshow? and you didnt get invited? cry.gifcry.gifcry.gifyellaf.gif

you cant count to 1? yellaf.gifyellaf.gifthat explains the fear of downgrading

if i climbed it i would tell where it is. tongue.gif

I guess that's the point: It hasn't all been climbed yet.

If you are talking about the Beckey slideshow? and you didnt get invited? cry.gifcry.gifcry.gifyellaf.gif

I wasn't invited, but I wasn't whining about it either. I was just pointing out that we all do the same kind of shit.

Those guys (DBB and Philfort) didn't even have to put it in the guide, but they did. Everyone will know all about it in a few months, if not before. Then you can all go scrog up the talus and through the boulders, beat through the alder, devil's club, raspberries, wade the creek, and pull down and downrate all you want.

bigdrink.gif

CascadeClimber said:

Many of us have done exclusive things, parties, slideshows, trips with local legends, etc, that we sprayed about and that other people were certainly not invited or even allowed in on.

I've been in there three times now and the approach sucks in low snow or high snow. The ice is inconsistent and often mungy. So if the people who 'found' it and deemed it worthy want to keep the location to themselves until the guide comes out, then I think that's their perogative.

If you want ice mileage, you can leave Seattle and be climbing at Marble Canyon on good, consistent ice faster than you can get to this place.

And on top of that, what's been written hasn't been misleading (so far) and has more than enough info and hints for someone to figure it out if they really wanted to.

-L

Face it Loren you just dont like me. Come on admit it. You've always been a snide ass in person. smirk.gif You're not invited to any of my climbs simply because I dont like you. It's simple enough for me. And I'm not hesitating to say it. cry.gif

Super secret slide show was mentioned by Dru so I guess you'll have to pny up Dru.

All in all you dont see me chestbeating about a certain area or trip for 2 years and posting website shots of I LUVE MYSELF here. cantfocus.gif for every single time I go out. Then tell everyone it's super secret.

Edited by Cpt.Caveman

Face it Loren you just dont like me. Come on admit it. You've always been a snide ass in person. You're not invited to any of my climbs simply because I dont like you. It's simple enough for me. And I'm not hesitating to say it.

Super secret slide show was mentioned by Dru so I guess you'll have to pny up Dru.

All in all you dont see me chestbeating about a certain area or trip for 2 years and posting website shots of I LUVE MYSELF here. for every single time I go out. Then tell everyone it's super secret.

I'm not complaining about not being included. I was pointing out that many of us do exclusive things and then let on about it. 'Secret' ice, slide shows, parties, TR links, I climbed with Fred pics, etc. It isn't a big deal.

Anyway, I only remember meeting you three times: At Loose Lady, at 38, and at a Pub Club in Issaquah.

The first was pleasant, the third we were both blitzed.

The only time I remember being something of a dick was at 38. There was some nasty stuff going on then, including me being threatened with ice tools by one of your friends, so I wasn't especially cordial.

That was years ago, it's water under the bridge, I hold no grudge, and I thought the fences were mended.

Bygones dude.

-L

The only time I remember being something of a dick was at 38. There was some nasty stuff going on then, including me being threatened with ice tools by one of your friends, so I wasn't especially cordial.

That was years ago, it's water under the bridge, I hold no grudge, and I thought the fences were mended.

I was never there for that.

I think your memory has faded. I recall you accusing me of making fun of you on the internet (which did not happen). Calling me out like a cop and embarrassing me in front of my 2 good friends following me down the trail.

Get your stories right. smirk.gif In hindsight I should have turned around and kicked your ass on the spot but I was trying to enjoy my day.

Maybe your ego was hurt but I aint the culprit. boxing_smiley.gif