Cascades Ice conditions

Alex

Explored and climbed Sat (in light rain/snow). The area we went to (base elevation ~4000) was totally in, although from a distance it looked terrible. Close up the ice was not only solid, but fun, plastic, excellent time. Really made us reevaluate what conditions need to be like to get good ice climbing in even at lower elevations on the West side of the crest.

I would suggest that anyone who is still interested in getting in some local ice this year not be dissuaded by the recent weather and get out somewhere above 4500 ft. Banks Lake wont be in, but seems like there will be good ice in the alpine mountain areas like Strobach or Lake Julius etc for a few weeks still.

Freezing levels are down to 2500 this week.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
forrest_m said:

do i need a refresher in reading comprehension, or is it true that despite 4 separate TRs, copious route information and annotated photographs, DBB's website does not mention the actual LOCATION of this fabled ice climbing paradise?

You have to be in the super secret in club. smirk.gif I call it the grandest chestbeating of all. boxing_smiley.gif

Cpt.Caveman said:

forrest_m said:

do i need a refresher in reading comprehension, or is it true that despite 4 separate TRs, copious route information and annotated photographs, DBB's website does not mention the actual LOCATION of this fabled ice climbing paradise?

You have to be in the super secret in club. smirk.gif I call it the grandest chestbeating of all. boxing_smiley.gif

I thought it was somewhat amusing smirk.gif

I bet it is possible to figure out approximately where it is, from Dave's web pages.

climbing a route and telling everyone about it, but not where it is, is a fancy way to avoid your route getting downgraded

picures of my new 5.13d overhanging slab route with the strange, horizontal gravity anomaly, taken at *a secret location*, will soon follow rolleyes.gifyellaf.gif

I checked out Phil and Dave's websites. Based on their reports here's my go at sleuthing. Of course their websites could be massive disinformation campaigns, so don't blame me if you bushwack up Hidden Lake Creek and find nothing!

It's up off the Cascade River Road.

Phil first went there for the skiing potential.

It isn't too far off the road.

When you leave the road you cross a significant creek (Cascade Creek?).

Climbs are around 4200' to 4500', north facing.

Hidden Lake Creek looks like a prime suspect, though I guess it could one of many, many other side drainages in the area.

Where ever it is, it looks sweet!

cracked said:

What's an "overhanging slab"? rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

where you take a picture of yourself smearing up a 45 degree slab and turn it 90 degrees so it looks like you are spider-manning up a 45 degree overhang. you can do it with camera tilt too but this method is better...

philfort said:

It's not too hard to find your own secret ice stash by looking at a topomap - sometimes the terrain is pretty obvious - that's how this place was "found".

I think people need to do more exploring and less whining.

I think its the way mr alpinedave goes about it. Post 4 trs and chestbeat. We've all been guilty but for 2 years it seems kind of dull and silly at this point.

Stroke each others cocks and have your fun. There is lots of ice but if you are going to be "secretive" then keep it that way. I could just call up somebody and ask them but in truth I could really care less. bigdrink.gif