Anti-war rally today

sexual_chocolate

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and the rally was awesome. It was cool to see so many people from all walks of life, participating in what they think is so important.

I personally felt pretty somber, but definitely psyched by all the involvement. The rally must have stretched from the Center all the way to the INS.

Dwayner, you would have especially enjoyed the street puppeteers, although there weren't more than a couple; mainly just average run-of-the-mill folk demonstrating against mindless unjustified violence.

I hope that all of you who care feel inspired by the events. 1 million marched in Rome, almost a million in London (does that give the British leadership something to think about?), and countless thousands in major cities around the world.

I'm somber, but also hopeful that all this opposition will put the brakes on Bush's war plans. Cheers! bigdrink.gif

Groundswell of dissent encircles the globe

From Auckland to Amsterdam, from Rio to Rome, millions of citizens poured on to the streets to make their voices heard

By David Randall in London, Peter Popham in Rome and Ruth Elkins in Berlin

16 February 2003

Millions of people around the world poured on to the streets of their towns and cities yesterday to protest against the prospect of a US-led war on Iraq.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/politics/story.jsp?story=378750

Just saw the crowd shots on the news. Staggering stuff, I'd never have bought into this beforehand. I was in downtown noon-ish, taking a walk with my dad who is trying to bounce back from pulling a muscle in his back. We saw lots of people but the news showed much bigger crowds.

At the same time it was a little sad to see the news footage from the 'support the troops' rallies. It was a little bit too noticeable that the cameramen had to stay within 5 yards to get a screen full of people. Say, between 5 and 20 or so...

I don't pretend to know what the ratio of supporters to protesters is, but it seems obvious that the ratio of marchers is very heavily skewed towards protesting.

I'm so sick of the anti-war movement. I almost wish Bush would cave and do nothing. Then in a few months when one of our cities and thousands of citizens are targeted and killed by some middle eastern goblin, I'd like to hear what all you doves have to say. What would you say then? How would you justify it?

I don't know how often this has to be pointed out, but some of the goblins are not in Iraq so war with Iraq may not solve everything. Methinks Bush would do a good thing by shifting some attention to the economy, and back to Bin Laden. If that shithead really wants chemical weapons he can probably get some Saudis to make them.

Just went to this bar and saw Ozzy Osmond and there was this drunk french girl there who was saying, "thees ees the birth of the new wahruld". And I thought, "this is just a drunk french girl talking". But then I thought about it and thought, "y'know she might be right".

Today people all over the globe massed in the the street and antagonized the US, the omnipotent superpower. Yesterday, the United Nations pretty much told the USA to f*ck off.

A new wahruld allright, but what's it going to be?

It could be a world where an agressive nation was stood down by unified world politic. A hope for peace, but a worry to those of us who enjoy the trappings of life in an omnipotent superpower.

It could be a world where our country calls the bluff of the whole world and exerts our dominance. We will have told the entire world to f*ck off. We will be the omnipotent superpower and will reap the gains. We will be respected only as far as we are able to physically enforce it. We will live by the sword and eventually die from it.

bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

Lest You Forget-

The American people have learned a hard and valuable lesson – do not wait for a demonstration of the goals held by the radical Muslims. We learned that the hard way as passengers sat in their seats after throats were slit, waiting for a ransom call when death was all that was ever in the offing, yet timely and concerted action by the passengers could have overwhelmed the plotters. Now, on a larger scale, we are intent on not making that mistake again. We know their plans, and we are taking concerted action before they can be carried out this time. Saddam has already slit throats in his fiefdom. We will not wait for them to demonstrate that those WMD are meant for our cities before we act. It is disappointing, but not surprising that some of our soft and decadent friends know not of what awaits us, or in some cases do not care (China, Syria, Indonesia, etc.), but that is the burden we will have to carry. Action will be taken - unilaterally if necessary. For our real friends we should refrain from calling them names and merely say we are sorry that they do not realize our danger or their eventual own danger, and strike out on our own with those that will help us. The onus is on us to act, because we are the ones in the cross hairs - if others cannot see that, then too bad.

Our defeat of one despicable little tyrant will not make the world right, but it will demonstrate what the UN really is – a debating society at best, and a platform for fools and oppressors at worst.

AlpineK said:

All this talk of a "New World." rolleyes.gif

Yes 9/11 was nasty, but it takes mor than that for a, "New World." A large astroid hitting the earth, now that would cause a, "New World."

The threat presented by Islamic Fascists and their allies (of which Iraq is definitely one), is not immediate enough to invoke a response from most of the nations of the world, and a US hegemony scares many more than the bin-Laden's of the world. This anti-American stance is accentuated in Old Europe by the mongrelizing from that region that threatens their politicians even in democracies there. Low birth rates and unimpeded immigration have resulted in one prediction I heard that Germany will have a voting Muslim majority by 2014. To these, some, including George, would turn over our fate. You will see others in the street marching with the Workers Of The World Party earnestly attempting to instill the same ideas that failed them in the Cold War, but now by stealth by fooling the useful idiots who have no understanding for whom and with they are now working.

AlpineK said:

Well it seems to me that all the stuff that's happening right now is just more of the same kind of conflict the Christian world has had with the Muslim world since the time of the Crusades.

I have to wonder if all of this is more about Bush's religious conservatism than all of the other elements...

PullinFool said:

AlpineK said:

Well it seems to me that all the stuff that's happening right now is just more of the same kind of conflict the Christian world has had with the Muslim world since the time of the Crusades.

I have to wonder if all of this is more about Bush's religious conservatism than all of the other elements...

if there is any truth to that AT ALL shocked.gif it will be one of the sadest things that has happened in the history of men. We should KNOW BETTER BY NOW.

thumbs_up.gifJust in from the wire

SADDAM HUSSEIN has put the people of Iraq on an "Orange" alert this week in response to Iraqi intelligence picking up an increase in "chatter" out of Hollyweird. Actors go into a frenzy whenever they sense that world events could pre-empt their appearances on "Entertainment Tonight." They've been in March Hare mode lately, so Iraq is in a state of high alert.

For the past few months, Saddam had been lulled into a sense of security. We haven't heard from Barbra Streisand since she turned with a vengeance to figuring out the difference between Iran and Iraq. George Clooney disappeared, hoping people would forget his inside tip that, in the rush to war, Bush had cut a deal with France so they wouldn't complain when we attack Iraq.............................................. fruit.gif