layton

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll spare the story.

Didn't climb it.

A must for those who like to approach 10 miles of feet upon feet of unconsolidated 3" crystal surface hoar and like to shovel out their truck endlessly. Wicked fun!

good effort mike

though i will say your percentages rival dan wilson's batting average1!!

ya but how were avvy conditions and was any ice in in the silvertip gullies?

2"-6" surface hoar on top of a thin crust, with lots of depth hoar. If you get off the snowmobile track into the cirque, you'll need snowshoes. Lots of effort required.

The upper portion of Rideout had the wind/snow/spindrift thing going on, and the conditions on the approach suggested some gnarly stuff up higher, in addition to the weather shitting out by the minute.

There was some ice in the Silvertip gullies, but not a lot of blue for the effort. We didn't have skis, and left the snowshoes in the truck.

I would think that any new snow would send the avy through the roof, given the amount and the size of the surface hoar. Amazing stuff, some crystals as big as "toonies", it was like the carpet in Superman's house.

On the plus side, our new "approach vs. attempt" philosphy should improve my attitude. You bail from an attempt, while you turn around on an approach. Additionally, an attempt means that the rope was used, rather than simply carried.