Krakauer: Good or Bad?

Rodchester

awwwwww the K man...he is so self-righteous that it is sick. I was living in Alaska when the young man died in his van in the wilderness. K did all this quasi psyco analysis of a youngster that screwed up plain and simple. Then the Everest thing came and went and he just flogged Anatoli to death when in fact MR. K could of been in the lime light as a rescuer, but he did not have the stamina of the Ruski so what did he do, slam him.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, lets all be clear about this...I like Matt. He is a cool guy, and even if he wasn't, I like everyone who shows up at Pub Club because that is real life and its good to interact in the real world as well as in this fun-playground of a website.

As I said in the other forum today, I totally disagree about needing anything to change on this site. And, if there are people who don't post here because of the spray, WHO CARES? Is this supposed to be an effort to make sure that every climber in the NW posts to this site? Is it like a public building that we have to make sure is accessible for all of society.

No, its a stupid climbing site where we say a bunch of dumb stuff, insult each other, ask advice and occasionally get answers. The reality is, it is not going to change, so why wish for something that will never happen.

This site would be SO boring if it was super polite and just about route beta or something. As much as I can't stand pencil neck, its fun to watch everyone spar with him. And, hey, did you know that Dan Larsen wants to climb Mt Rainier again? (No-oooo, you don't say?)

Its a funny site, and I have zero problems with it the way it is.

Mr chocolate-----

I just can't answer your intensely introspective questions, they hurt my brain. Its just climbing, don't think about it.

smile.gif

Go talk about your author on the what do you read thread...maybe someone else will have an opinion on him. I have never heard of him.

[This message has been edited by hollyclimber (edited 10-17-2001).]

Consider this: Jon Krakauer may write the story, but his work does go through an editor who works for a publisher whos job it is to sell books. And what does it take to sell books? Something that the general public can either relate to or be fascinated by, or both. Also, stirring up a little contreversy goes a long way in to the publishers bottom line.

To debate the character Jon Krakauer in this forum is silly.

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

I put Jon Krakauer in the Outside School of Journalism with guys like Tim Cahill that can't write three sentences without mentioning themselves. You notice they don't ever write "The landscape was beautiful and desolate", they write "I saw the landscape as beautiful and desolate." Unending me me me me me all thru every book.

Is this really a good reason to despise someone?

I once shared belay stances with Krakauer on Centerfold at Index. From this perception, he is as humble and pleasant as everyone else who has met him has mentioned here. Defining someone based on their writing style seems pretty myopic to me.

quote:

Originally posted by sexual chocolate:

So lizard brain thinks there IS a reality, something objective that stands apart from our perception, and it's our perception that changes or distorts it. Whereas JBlakeley seems to feel that there is NO reality, just our perception, period.

Hmmmmm.... the plot thickens....

And Sexual Chocolate thinks that Moonprancing is the glue that binds the known universe together. The plot slickens...

i'm not dissing Krakauer ( a good climber or so I hear) just his writing, which sucks. you can be a good person and still write shit. or vice versa

But jk writing is not as bad as Andrew Todhunter's writing (which blows wet chunks). "I know, me me me, I will write a book about Dan osman which is really all about me and how I am scared to solo, mE me me me me. osman is braver than me so he must be warped. me me me."