Mt. Rainier closed M-F through winter

CascadeClimber

I don't see it posted here, so here it is. The current mis-managers of the park are shutting down public access to Paradise except Sat and Sun through the winter. Overnight camping will be allowed on on Saturday nights.

https://www.nps.gov/mora/learn/news/mount-rainier-national-park-announces-winter-2022-23-recreational-access-changes.htm

This has me wondering if there will be a repeat of the 2006 scenario where the commercial guide services were allowed in when the public was not. Ugh.

• Smells bad 2

Do as many of the following as you are willing:

1. Sign the change. org petition
https://www.change.org/p/restore-mount-rainier-weekday-winter-access/

2. Call or email your senators and house rep.

3. Call your local newspaper and ask when they will report on this.

4. Email the park and voice your concern and ask what they are doing about the situation. I'll post the super's email here when I find it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Conflicted about this. One one hand, it seems absurd to claim short staffing issues with, what, over 100 winter employees and millions in heavy equipment now just sitting idle in the park. What's more, I'm not sure how keeping the road open during the week is any less labor-intense than prepping it for opening on Saturday mornings. Unless, of course, the real goal here is to allow the road to get so buried during the week that they just throw up their hands and proclaim, "Paradise is now closed until late spring!"

On the other hand, Paradise hasn't always been open year round. Recall the book "A Year in Paradise," by Floyd Schmoe describing his isolation as caretaker at the inn during the long winters before the ski hill era. Furthermore, I'm not heartbroken these days to hear that a taxpayer-funded playground for urban elites has been throttled. Let's do the same with Benaroya Hall. 

I'm guessing cars will start to pile up at the bottom of Crystal Mountain Blvd as skiers and other winter recreationalists seek the path of least resistance to MORA snow. 

Elites aren't necessarily wealthy. ($179.00 tickets at Crystal Mountain notwithstanding.) In fact, when I think of elites, I think more about folks who have a wealth of free time on their hands compared to the general working population. I think of public sector employees. Insiders. Credentialed. Politicos. Cosmopolitan. Don't you wonder why MORA is leaving access open only on weekends, and not, say, Sunday and Monday? It's simple, really--elites tend to have weekends off. The rest can eat cake.

Edited by Fairweather

That is some really interesting theories you have there.  But lucky for you, you don't have to worry about it anymore since you've moved or are in the process.   Count your blessings for that and wash your hands of it all.  Find some happiness.

Congrats on moving on from all this madness!

I think though, in the mean time, the main thing is this:

Do as many of the following as you are willing:

1. Sign the change. org petition
https://www.change.org/p/restore-mount-rainier-weekday-winter-access/

2. Call or email your senators and house rep.

3. Call your local newspaper and ask when they will report on this.

4. Email the park and voice your concern and ask what they are doing about the situation. I'll post the super's email here when I find it.

4 hours ago, Fairweather said:

Elites aren't necessarily wealthy. ($179.00 tickets at Crystal Mountain notwithstanding.) In fact, when I think of elites, I think more about folks who have a wealth of free time on their hands compared to the general working population. I think of public sector employees. Insiders. Credentialed. Politicos. Cosmopolitan. Don't you wonder why MORA is leaving access open only on weekends, and not, say, Sunday and Monday? It's simple, really--elites tend to have weekends off. The rest can eat cak

13 hours ago, olyclimber said:

The rich people are at the ski resorts like Whistler, etc. where lift prices have priced out the average person.   Do you think some URBAN ELITE wants to earn their turns?

By the definition given above... I qualify as an urban elite! One who wants to earn her turns! 🥳 (I don't think I qualify as cosmopolitan, though...)

• 4 weeks later...