Trip Report Function Improvement Ideas

olyclimber

I'd like to start collecting ideas, no matter how simple, of how we can make the Trip Report function better.  People have donated money not only keep this site going, but also to make it better. I'm planning on using some of the money to improve things.  So lets hear some ideas, no matter how simple.  Or any part of the site actually, but I think Trip Reports are the most important part of the site (other than you of course! you're number one always).

In general I think the TR function works pretty darn well.  That said... here are some things batted around over the years:

- Go into the TR database and fix ones that don't search or render properly?  I forget the issues exactly, but I remember something about this.

-A mapping feature?

-fix photo links on esp. cool reports?  I know you did that for some of Dan's

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking of having this function, as an option (not required of course) on a TR: 

the option to upload a GPX or similiar GPS file, and have it display on a map at the bottom of the TR (as well has share the GPX file so others can download it). 

I know not everyone captures this type of info (or even has a GPS at all), but this would be a kind of cool option for those that wanted to do it, and seems like it could be easy to implement...

• 7 months later...

My ideas for this are:

• Add a "random" button, that brings you to a random trip report.  Sometimes at lunch I like to read a few trip reports and this would make that a bit more fun.  I read all of the trip reports, so a random one is a good way to get some old trip report to pop up from years past.  An additional idea here would be to allow specifying a range of dates to select it between.  Or a range of months (any year), so you could grab a random summer trip, or winter, for example.
  • If we don't get a random button, then how about having the "page" a drop down so that a user could go back 20, 30, or 100 pages in the results.  The old forum did this, but the latest trip report tool did not and you could only go like 2 pages at a time, which meant it would take forever to go back like 50 pages.
  • Allow seeing 100 trip reports per page in the results.
  • Some trip reports have no "route" defined for them, which means that there is no link to get to those trips in the trip report search (well, now there is no trip report search anymore anyway).  It should be possible to get all of the reports that fall into this category via a script...perhaps when the trip report search comes back again.
  • Restore images to trip reports that have them missing.  I know you've done this a few times manually using the wayback machine.  It should be possible to automate this and restore most/all images in the old trip reports?
  • To avoid losing pictures in the future, perhaps the software could be updated to make a copy of any linked photos in future trip reports so that the images still displace on CC when whatever random blog or website it is linked to inevitably disappears.  Here is a random example of pictures linked to a now defunct website:

I'm obviously "new" here (a long time lurker), but I'd be willing to help where I can to keep this site alive and working (for free).  I'm not a professional developer, but I've done some developing on my own.  I can certainly help with the last 3 bullet points I made.  I actually had a working script to identify, and fix some, of those last 3 bullet points based on the last trip report search tool that was removed.  Those previously worked without any admin rights too, so @olyclimberwouldn't have to trust some rando on the internet with his top secret access to this site ;)

I also have a cousin that is not a climber, but is a developer, that I could potentially get to help out...

That said, I'm sure there are climbing developers that use this site too that should really step up and help keep it alive