Kloke Peak

Alisse

Thanks for the info.  Unofficially that was named Hayden Peak.  Now it will be Kloke.  I never been up it....I think it might be worth a visit.

I wish the timber company would allow us to have permits to drive that road..and that aint going to happen....from the west....you can bike it....it is a long ways on a bike on gravel roads. 

On 10/5/2022 at 9:20 AM, olyclimber said:

@JasonG how did Fred vote for this, he was gone 3 years when it was voted on? or is there another Fred....or was his opinion captured before 2017?

Good catch!  I emailed Fred and John Roper way back in 2010, not long after Dallas died.  Here is what I sent:

"Hi guys-I enjoyed talking to both of you at the Bulger Party last weekend, but I forgot to run a Dallas Memorial idea past both of you.  Some of those in the climbing community up here (Skagit) are wondering about the feasibility of naming (re-naming?) a peak after Dallas in the North Cascades.  I think both of you have extensive experience with the process, so I thought I would contact you to see what you thought.

Please be honest, if you think this is a bad or unrealistic idea, feel free to say so.I know most attractive peaks (from a climber's perspective) have a name, even if not official on a USGS quad.  While a non-descript rounded summit (presently just named by its elevation) somewhere might be feasible, we were thinking of something that had some Dallas history to it like Hayden or Skookum peaks (I believe Dallas was on the first ascent of both).  Some folks also were thinking if a peak didn't work, maybe a face (like the NF of Davis) could be named after Dallas.

Anyway, I appreciate you both taking the time to consider this- any advice you wish to share would be much appreciated."

Here was Fred's reply (John liked it too):

"I'll be glad to sign anything and of endorse it. Either Skookum or Hayden sounds perfect.

it's nearly impossible to change an existing name once it's on maps. it takes a huge force of organization and lobbying efforts.

Get hold of me anytime.

Fred"

Note that Fred did not use all caps for this reply!

So, this has been a bit of a long road, to put it mildly......funny enough, I found out that "Kloke Peak" had become official a few days ago via text message from a reporter at the Skagit Valley Herald.  Why text?  I was on the summit of Cannon Mountain (Smoot 100/100 for me). 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JasonG said:

I found out that "Kloke Peak" had become official a few days ago via text message from a reporter at the Skagit Valley Herald.  Why text?  I was on the summit of Cannon Mountain (Smoot 100/100 for me). 

That's a poetic finish if I've ever heard one!

• Like 1
  • Snaffled 1
  • Rawk on! 1

Thanks everyone! 

Does anyone know if there is an effort to get a peak named after Fred? Once they are gone five years you can begin the process.  But, I've found that it can't be in a wilderness area.  Not that I am volunteering for this!  Happy to offer advice to someone though....