Poll: Supporting CC.com

olyclimber

Poll: Supporting CC.com  

24 members have voted

1. 1. We need to find a way to pay for the cost of this board. Current Jon and I are paying for it out of pocket, there are no ads. How would you like to see it run?

• Community donations via donation button, with fund spent on board costs transparently.
    • Ads on the site (local where possible, with Google, etc till we get enough locally)
    • Some hybrid of the above.

On 11/16/2022 at 9:28 PM, Alisse said:

I'm on my phone (Android). When I use Google Lens on this code, it prompts me to install the PayPal app. Weird.

Not sure if this is true for all mobile users, but the DONATE button is at the very bottom of the general forum list page and at the bottom of each individual forum.

Long live CC and all the beta contained herein! Thank you Oly!

Ditto. But I installed the app, logged in (I already had an acct) and then went back and scanned QR code again and it allowed me to donate to cc.com. Mission accomplished.

Oh, and PLEASE come out to pub club so it's not just old white guys ;)

1 hour ago, Rad said:

Ditto. But I installed the app, logged in (I already had an acct) and then went back and scanned QR code again and it allowed me to donate to cc.com. Mission accomplished.

Oh, and PLEASE come out to pub club so it's not just old white guys ;)

I just didn't want to install the app 🙃

We'll see about pub club...thanks for the special invite 🥰 (even if it is basically 100% because of my gender) 😝

Edited by Alisse

Hey guys, just found this thread. I've gotten a lot from CC over the years and it's disappointing FB has taken so much traffic. I'm pretty busy with some other related organizations (and putting down quite a bit of money for them) but I am pretty proficient in web development so if you need an eye to look at things, let me know. In the mean time, I'll donate and try to spread the word about CC needing donations to my followers.

Edited by Kyle M
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I agree, website hosting isn't cheap. My personal blog is about to level up to about $200-$300 a year. There are some other community sites I'm helping support at a few hundred dollars per year. The sheer number of photos on CC costs a lot. At least we're not like one other notable forum, which un-transparently asked for $12k with no explanation of why it cost so much. I think where I could provide some value is free web consulting if y'all have tech questions. I'm slightly scared however to look at this archaic tech stack :crosseye:

Thanks Kyle for sharing this in the FB groups.

I've lurked here for many years but can't remember my login so made a new account.

I own a few sites/forums and your costs are very reasonable, especially given the amount of content that's on the site.

I donated via paypal but more importantly happy to donate some of my time if you'd like it.

I don't have any experience directly with Invision and haven't written PHP in ~5yrs but don't anticipate it to be a problem.

I have extensive experience with other forum softwares like vB, phpBB and XenForo doing everything from setup & administration, to developing.

I live down in Salem so can't join any of your Seattle area fun but happy to hop on a call if you want to talk shop.

-----

Also Kyle, the stack here can't be that archaic. IDK how much playing you've done with WP on your personal site but it can get real nasty, real quick. Even then, php isn't that bad compared to things like jsp, native asp, and whatever weird custom things people used to do in the 90s and early 2000s that some corporations still run on...

Edited by Geoff M
  • Like 1

I think WP is one of biggest targets on the Internet right now.  I am very interested in possible help, but I think you can understand that there is very much a trust issue with bringing people on to do that sort of thing. I also am only one half of the ownership, so I'm only reflecting my opinion on that.  But know I hear you and really appreciate the offers.  We have what it takes for the immediate future, but what I want to see if this site become good enough for the user base to be grown so there is never, ever a question of its survival. That is my goal, as it always has been since I was first involved. To keep this little niche on the Interwebz alive and the every growing pile of stories never to go away.

7 hours ago, OlympicMtnBoy said:

Donated , I’ve gotten so much from this place over the years from beta to partners and friends!  Been busy with the baby but hopefully my climbing days arent over yet!

It ain't over till its over!  I raised a young man and he's off on his own now.   Now its time for me to have my fun again.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have an exciting announcement coming.  Details are pretty much ironed out, but I'm a little under the weather right now so I need to get some stuff done before the official announcement, but we will be going with the hybrid model (as the poll was pretty clearly showing most people wanted).   I'll share that info soon, but I can tell you this.  Its a local climbing related company, not Google Ads.   It will be a single sponsorship for a set duration.   it will not cover everything, but those have donated are helping build a war chest we can use to improve the site and also make it financially resilient for whatever comes at us in the future.  There will be additional cost for development (we can make this site better)...but for now this keeps that fire burning.  So I do encourage those that love this site and haven't thrown down to still do so.   There may even be a secret forum.

thank you for supporting the site.

• Rawk on! 1

Well our new sponsor ad is in place, and I think you'll find it very low key!

Huge thank you to Bellingham based The American Alpine Institute for being our sole sponsor, taking care of our hosting costs,  which is our biggest cost.  @Jason_Martin  of AAI reached out to me, and really wanted to support the forums.  They have supported us in the past,  and now stepped up to support us again.  They will be our sole sponsor for 6 months.   Big time, and they are a local climbing related company to boot!  

Please do return the love if you can to Jason and crew...they love this site just like you do, so its a perfect it.  If you don't know about AAI, please read about them here.   

Thank you for helping us keep the lights on!

6391215776941_CascadeClimbersAdv3.png.715fdd4cf727e38cdcd79ea2af6ebced.png

• Rawk on! 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, thanks AAI. That is good news. They are very generous here in the Bellingham area with fund raising-donations for mountain related activities, such as Bellingham Mountain Rescue, NWAC, and others. The big guiding companies often get picked on in the forums but these guys really seem like good neighbors.