olyclimber

Wondering if you guys have a preferred approach shoe.  I know a lot of people just use running shoes and that is what I've used mostly, primarily the Brooks Cascadia trail running shoes, of which I've used since they came out...though I stopped for a while because it seemed like they got narrow for a couple of years (I don't know if they actually did, but I didn't like the way they felt when I tried them on).

So I've been using those quite a bit, but man I pack them out quick.  The ones I'm currently running (current year model) felt super packed out after a 15 mile day in the hills, and I don't think I had more than 400 miles into them. I know the life on running shoes it probably shorter than I want it to be.

I switched to the Arcteryx Konseal FL approach shoes and I mostly like them, but even they are starting to seem a little packed out...or maybe I wish they had a shank. I used some Superfeet inserts and those stiffened them up a little, but still wish they had a shank...the bones in my feet were sore at the and of the day after 15-20 miles.  My last outing in the hills with these and my feet felt no different than if I had used the Cascadias.

I know it probably has to do with that I'm a lard ass (205 right now and dropping), but I just wish I could find the perfect light weight but burley shoes that maybe had a shank or at least better support/cushion.   Maybe I need to try out the La Sportivas. I could also go back to just using mountaineering boots, but I sure like have lighter shoes for days when I'm covering more ground without glacier travel.

I too have rocked the Cascadias for a long time, and these days feel the sole is too soft for a lot of talus-hopping (or maybe I'm just getting older).  I currently use the Scarpa Zen Pro which is a little slow to dry but provides a nice amount of stiffness / support.  Back in the day I swore by the 5.10 Camp 4, and it fit the bill as "kinda burly" but still runnable; the Zen Pro feels very similar.

I see more TX4s on the trail than anything else and my brother with a similar build / shape as me puts in high miles on his with no complaints, so there's probably some "there" there on that recommendation.

Edited by jared_j
sp3lling

You guys were right. The TX4s are the best. They had the most fun. But also just kinda of the perfect balance of lightness, grip, fit, and support/cushion for my feet. Put 19 miles on mine yesterday and my feet were happy at the end of the day. Kinda of reminds of if Mythos were a hiking shoe.  I'm actually considering buying another pair to stash because every time  I find a shoe that works it seems like the next year they change things up a bunch and make it worse.

28 minutes ago, olyclimber said:

I'm actually considering buying another pair to stash

When Scarpa stopped making the heavy duty SL backpacking boot, I bought a pair from Cascades Crags as they went out of business.  They sat in my basement for more than 12 years until my old SLs finally bit the dust after 18 years, two soles, two trips to Nepal, and many, many miles. Finally breaking in the new pair this year.

Do it!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wear 48 in basically all Sportiva mountain boots (Nepal, G2SM, older yellow Trangos) and I'm a 14 in every running shoe or US brands. However, I fit in the TX4 in 47.5 pretty well. A lot will depend on the shape of your toes, but I would try them before you decide they don't fit. For reference, the TX4 47.5 fits better than the Boulder X in 48 for me with more room! I also do OK in the older Trango Silver Bullets in 47.5 since that was the biggest size they ever made.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

If LaSportiva don't fit your feet I think these are equal to the TX4s.  I picked up a pair last year when in Austria because the mountaineering boots I had brought were tearing up my feet (not sure why I had tons of miles in them already), so I used the Scarpas on my hut hike and they are really nice.  I don't know if it was just a Euro thing, but the version i bought are a sweet teal color:

https://us.scarpa.com/mescalito-men-s

They are so comfy I've taken to just wearing them as every day shoes.

• Like 1