Belts made from retired climbing ropes

Joshua FitzPatrick

Climbing ropes are not biodegradable, so when they get thrown out, they end up sitting in a landfill for at least 30 years before they start to break down. One way to prevent this is by making them into another good, which they actually lend themselves to due to their strength. I am trying to do this by starting a business that turns them into belts that actually look really cool, so if anyone wants to support this effort, here is my website: https://fitzoutfitters.com/ 

IMG_7985.jpg.2920c2ff97641eaac1058fcdff4eaa6d.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/26/2022 at 7:04 AM, Alisse said:

A noble endeavor! Joshua, how do you process the rope to create the belt? I'm thinking to myself: I don't want a belt that's round, 9.8mm thick... But it looks like maybe you cut them lengthwise or ?

Can't speak for Joshua, but I've made luggage tags from sections of old rope. Slide out the core and the sheath can be pretty flat and works in water knots and other flat knots generally used for webbing.

2 hours ago, Rad said:

Can't speak for Joshua, but I've made luggage tags from sections of old rope. Slide out the core and the sheath can be pretty flat and works in water knots and other flat knots generally used for webbing.

Ahhh, thanks! Of course. That makes sense.