Psycholocross Bikes

• 4 weeks later...

@olyclimber HEY we were both bikin' around Goldendale on Sunday! I was just looking through the pics and I was like HEY that guy looks familiar and looked you up on the time score list. DNF! What happened? :(

It was my first ever timed bike "race" (we did it non-competitively), had a really fun time. #68 out of 87 finishers on an 89-mile course with no training, no long rides in the couple months beforehand, and having fun the whole way -- success!

1 hour ago, Alisse said:

@olyclimber HEY we were both bikin' around Goldendale on Sunday! I was just looking through the pics and I was like HEY that guy looks familiar and looked you up on the time score list. DNF! What happened? :(

It was my first ever timed bike "race" (we did it non-competitively), had a really fun time. #68 out of 87 finishers on an 89-mile course with no training, no long rides in the couple months beforehand, and having fun the whole way -- success!

Broken collar bone broken rib in a crash at all the wind mills right when you get to a he Columbia 

33 minutes ago, olyclimber said:

Broken collar bone broken rib in a crash at all the wind mills right when you get to a he Columbia 

Oh no!!!! Shit man, I'm so sorry.... Ugh. Will you have to have surgery? What's the prognosis? Heal up soon!!

Well, glad you are able to get into surgery this week.  I had to wait 11 days with my very angry and displaced thumb (there's a shortage of good hand surgeons locally).   I sometimes wonder if that is why it still isn't right. 

I'm sure it will be a lot better after surgery!  For me it was a night and day difference once it was back in the right spot.

11 hours ago, JasonG said:

Well, glad you are able to get into surgery this week.  I had to wait 11 days with my very angry and displaced thumb (there's a shortage of good hand surgeons locally).   I sometimes wonder if that is why it still isn't right. 

I'm sure it will be a lot better after surgery!  For me it was a night and day difference once it was back in the right spot.

Damn that would suck!  Yes I think being pinned up will be much better, right now feels like I have unsupported live meat hanging on my right shoulder with shards of broken bone.

• 2 weeks later...

As one motivation to get back on my bike, but also to support a local and amazing cause, I'm riding in the Fred Hutch Obliteride this August doing the 100 mile ride.  Consider supporting my ride if you can and want to:

I want to share some good news with you. At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center, more than 5,700 clinicians, researchers, and staff are working together to improve cancer prevention, detection, and treatment that improves and saves lives. Thanks to research like this, there are already cures for some cancers — but Fred Hutch will continue this work until there are treatments and cures for EVERYONE who needs them. That’s where you come in! Please take action by donating to my Fred Hutch Obliteride fundraiser right now. Every dollar you give will go right to work at Fred Hutch.

Click here to donate now. https://bndfr.com/2Q2mm

Click here to go to my personal page: https://bndfr.com/2Q2mn

Fred Hutch helped my neighbor and a close friend become cancer survivors, it is amazing how far some treatments have come.  But there is still a lot to be done.  
Thank you.

/porter

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, olyclimber said:

As one motivation to get back on my bike, but also to support a local and amazing cause, I'm riding in the Fred Hutch Obliteride this August doing the 100 mile ride.  Consider supporting my ride if you can and want to:

I want to share some good news with you. At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center, more than 5,700 clinicians, researchers, and staff are working together to improve cancer prevention, detection, and treatment that improves and saves lives. Thanks to research like this, there are already cures for some cancers — but Fred Hutch will continue this work until there are treatments and cures for EVERYONE who needs them. That’s where you come in! Please take action by donating to my Fred Hutch Obliteride fundraiser right now. Every dollar you give will go right to work at Fred Hutch.

Click here to donate now. https://bndfr.com/2Q2mm

Click here to go to my personal page: https://bndfr.com/2Q2mn

Fred Hutch helped my neighbor and a close friend become cancer survivors, it is amazing how far some treatments have come.  But there is still a lot to be done.  
Thank you.

/porter

Thanks for posting this, Porter. I think I may join you in fundraising and riding the century.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 5/3/2023 at 8:12 PM, olyclimber said:

Let me know if you want to join the team im doing it with 

How was your Obliteride and how's your collarbone?

In other bike news, I am trying to encourage more women and gender-diverse people to participate in the bikepacking races we have in Washington! I've been bikepacking for just a couple of years and last month I rode the Washington High-Lite race. It was fun and interesting in some unexpected ways and I learned a ton. But only two other women joined the race! 😭 If you know any non-dudes (or maybe this describes you, dear reader) who enjoy bikepacking or gravel riding in a "try to keep moving at a good steady clip" kind of way, or might be interested in it, I want to talk with them! I think in April or May there will be a group weekend bikepacking ride coordinated by these people https://thetownbicycle.com/washington-bikepacking-women-group/  

My goal is to bring three people to the next race I do (May or June).

Thanks for reading!

Alisse 

Just now, Alisse said:

How was your Obliteride and how's your collarbone?

In other bike news, I am trying to encourage more women and gender-diverse people to participate in the bikepacking races we have in Washington! I've been bikepacking for just a couple of years and last month I rode the Washington High-Lite race. It was fun and interesting in some unexpected ways and I learned a ton. But only two other women joined the race! 😭 If you know any non-dudes (or maybe this describes you, dear reader) who enjoy bikepacking or gravel riding in a "try to keep moving at a good steady clip" kind of way, or might be interested in it, I want to talk with them! I think in April or May there will be a group weekend bikepacking ride coordinated by these people https://thetownbicycle.com/washington-bikepacking-women-group/  

My goal is to bring three people to the next race I do (May or June).

Thanks for reading!

Alisse 

Obliteride went well!  I had a great ride.

My collarbone injured shoulder has actually gotten kind of worse, but was just at the doc and he thinks it just has a bunch scar tissue that I need to work through.  MRI and then maybe cortisone shot next.  We'll see but I'm going to get more aggressive with my PT.

Good luck with your organization efforts!  I do see a more women doing the gravel races and cyclocross, so there is hope.  Its just so many things going on for cycling these days and I guess the time investment into bikepacking races might be a factor.  Have you looked into that one down in Oregon? Called the Big Lonely I think....may have just happened.

10 minutes ago, olyclimber said:

Obliteride went well!  I had a great ride.

My collarbone injured shoulder has actually gotten kind of worse, but was just at the doc and he thinks it just has a bunch scar tissue that I need to work through.  MRI and then maybe cortisone shot next.  We'll see but I'm going to get more aggressive with my PT.

Good luck with your organization efforts!  I do see a more women doing the gravel races and cyclocross, so there is hope.  Its just so many things going on for cycling these days and I guess the time investment into bikepacking races might be a factor.  Have you looked into that one down in Oregon? Called the Big Lonely I think....may have just happened.

Sorry to hear your shoulder isn't 100%! I hope you can change that.

I hadn't heard of that one, thanks for putting it on my radar! 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 12/11/2022 at 5:46 PM, Alisse said:

It was fun watching some of the race video! Thanks for posting.

May I?

IMG_20221003_141501446_HDR.jpg.45b605f27552c321d134628e5b63743c.jpg

I'd really like to do this ride/HAB/ride next year, if any of y'all are interested:

https://bellinghamgrindcorps.com/rambod/

I would ride my lighter road bike with 32mm tires for it, not the bike pictured above.

I've just recently started taking my bike out on my gravely ground how do you find it? I've had a few near misses where I thought I was about to come off it, does anyone have sports insurance? I decided to take some out as I also like to climb and I thought it would be best:)