[TR] Mount Hunter - West Ridge 05/31/2022

Matt Lemke

Trip: Mount Hunter - West Ridge

Trip Date: 05/31/2022

Trip Report:

I climbed the west ridge of Mount Hunter from May 29 - June 1 just last week with a summit on May 31st. The route has changed drastically from the days of old, here is a good beta overview of the ridge if anyone is interested. We took 3 days on route with two nights at the 10650 col for a big 4k foot summit day. Weather has been fantastic in Alaska this season making for a carefree, worry free ascent (mostly lol).

122529857_large_1654567580.jpg

I'll get to writing a detailed trip report on my website soon...just figured I'd share these route notes for now. Conditions were mostly good, but afternoons on the lower ridge started getting scary when the stepp snow softened considerably in the hot sun. Summit temps were in the mid teens with very little wind. Photos at the link below.

Photo Gallery

Gear Notes:
Two 7.3mm twin ropes, 4 cams 0.5 - 2, set of DMM nuts, 5 UL screws, 3 pickets, 20 degree sleeping bag, 6 single slings and 1 double. Extra TAT

Approach Notes:
Snowshoed to base of ridge from landing - 1.5 hours.
  • Like 1
  • Snaffled 1
  • Rawk on! 4

11 hours ago, Matt Lemke said:

The photo isn't high enough resolution to read the notes

If you click on the photo, it opens the photo viewer, where you can click twice more to get to a level where I could read it on a desktop monitor.  Not sure about a phone....