Hardshell bib pants

bedellympian

I recently ordered hardshell bib pants from Mountain Equipment because they were on sale in my size and said "alpine climbing fit". When they arrived they fit great BUT they are SO baggy around the ankles like a ski pant. This seems ridiculous for a "climbing" fit and even with G2 boots on they seem like they are at least two inches too wide and just snag on crampons. Anybody have any ideas for how to either fix this, jerry rig it, or what to look for to actually get a a climbing fit?

Edited by bedellympian

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a big fan of high waters in general, esp. if I'm wearing a gaiter. No point in excess fabric overlap. In your situation you could have them hemmed and have a channel sewn in for a replaceable circumferential bungee. Another option would be to leave them the way they are and put a grommet or sewn loop on either side of each leg to allow you to attach replaceable bungee cord to go under the sole, in essence to turn the longer pant legs into a built in gaiter. There are pros/cons to either approach.

Thanks @JasonG for that snarky but useful response. I thought about gaiters too. Given that I would be wearing something like a modern double boot with built in gaiters I feel like this is an annoying solution.

I think hemming/re-seaming like @kmfoerster suggested is the only option besides returning them and buying something that fits better.

Mostly I'm just annoyed that they were listed for alpine climbing but are just baggy ski pants. 

Edited by bedellympian