[TR] North Twin Sister - West ridge 02/25/2022

Trip: North Twin Sister - West ridge

Trip Date: 02/25/2022

Trip Report:

Hey everybody!

A week and a bit ago I noticed questionable avy conditons but decent weather. Without a partner to go out with I was looking for something not to gnar. I had heard the west ridge of the north twin was a decent winter objective. In my mind with questionable conditions the worst case is a good workout! 

I drove up thursday evening and slept at the trailhead for a little bit more sleep. Up by 4 moving by 5. following the road up a few switch backs then getting ontop of the west ridge almost directly after the road ends to aviod as much avy terrian as possible.

IMG_7033.jpg.9c6a37ea642ac7a6ecce13654741c470.jpg

Leaving my skis and ski boots behind once skining became less favorable I head up the ridge by 8 am. I carried but didn't end up using crampons rope and rock pro.

The ridge itself was slow going due to about 6"-1' of snow covering most of the rock on the ridge. Not having much beta on the ridge itself I found a line that stayed mostly in 4th - low 5th class terrian and the best climbing was found mostly on the ridge propper. Staying on the ridge proper meant lots of up and downs making movement even slower. 

IMG_7039.JPG.455e877d92f77a3fdec344c8dae8c023.JPG

622826e365fd3_IMG_7043(1).jpg.50f9e424bc16ddb032a61197fad6976c.jpgIMG_7044 (2).MOV

After a few false summits I popped up onto the real top at around 1pm! On top I met two guys who had just come up the north face. They offered to let me rap off the picket they were placing and I accepted happily not wanting to rap and downclimb the more complicated west ridge decent. So much for staying out of avy terrain haha. After a short run down the north face and a traverse over to the base of the ridge I was reunited with my skis. Right down the ridge from where I left my skis I found someone had left a treat directally on the route. A little bit of etticite please don't poop directally on a popular route on an even more popular mountain.

Btw I dropped one of my ice tools directally below the notch on the false summit in the second picture. It was on my harness with a wiregate and somehow it unclipped. I'm sure this summer it will be found, lunch is on me for whoever returns it!

After skiing down the road I met up with my new friends from the summit and they offered me a ride out to where I left my car. Apparently they have the gate key and permits to drive up there! Who knew!

Didnt get many pictures but it was a fun solo mission!

Gear Notes:
Rock pro I probably should have used but I didnt find anything to challenging

Approach Notes:
Even if the gate is open don't drive past the bridge over the nooksack apparently the gate gets closed and people get there cars stuck!
  • Snaffled 1
  • Rawk on! 4

Rad, i used to take a lap on that every winter when i was living in Glacier but its been well over ten years now...never use to see a soul, or even tracks of anyone else up there in the winter.  Im sure its got some visitors these days.  Going to need to get back up there! Beautiful pics!

4 hours ago, AJScott said:

Rad, i used to take a lap on that every winter when i was living in Glacier but its been well over ten years now...never use to see a soul, or even tracks of anyone else up there in the winter.  Im sure its got some visitors these days.  Going to need to get back up there! Beautiful pics!

Thanks! It’s a super fun little range and people have figured that out. I think any good weather day you are sure to run into a good amount of people.