[TR] Posthole Peak - [FA?] North Face Right Side (WI3 M4) 01/16/2022

Michael Telstad

Trip: Posthole Peak - [FA?] North Face Right Side (WI3 M4)

Trip Date: 01/16/2022

Trip Report:

My motivation to spray has been dwindling lately, as such this trip report is a couple months late and will not be as detailed as past reports.

In mid January Kurt Ross, Erik Richardson and I ventured into the WA Pass area with plans to repeat the Keena-Williams on Silverstar. While driving over on Saturday night, Kurt and I got word from Erik that the route wasn't in, and his recon informed us that both skiing, and booting conditions were far from ideal. We nearly turned the car around two or three times, but the prospect of a break from the W-side rain kept us on course.

As we waffled over what to do, I remembered some cool N-facing walls behind Blue Lake that might hold some potential. The straightforward access and low commitment made this an easy decision. The next morning Erik towed us up the highway, and we skied from the blue lake TH up to the lake. 

Upon laying eyes on the faces, the main things we noticed was A: they look really cool in the winter, B: a distinct lack of ice (duh), and C: All of the coolest lines had big(enough to kill you) cornices hanging over them. The overhead hazard and warm temps gave us real pause, and we doddled around the base for a while trying to make a call. Eventually we decided on a mellow looking smear on the right side of the left wall (posthole peak). This route had the smallest cornice, and seemed like it would climb the fastest to limit our time in danger. 

The first third of the route consisted of good low angle ice that somehow wasn't covered in snow. I lead an 80+m pitch of mostly WI2 with a single vertical 12ft step to a screw belay. My next pitch started with some more easy water ice in a groove up to a snowfield. This pitch ended with some trenching to get to a bad rock belay (beaks and KB's). 

Kurt took over the lead here and lead us most of the way to the top in one ~140m pitch. The first half was snow with an easy mixed step up to 50M of fun albeit very snowy M4 to just below the ridge. 

I took over the sharp end again and lead a funky pitch of tree climbing and trenching in steep/deep snow up to the ridge crest. At this point we unroped and continued scrambling along the ridge with hopes of reaching the summit before sunset.

About half way along the ridge, I fell in a hole while breaking trail, while Kurt was either coming over to laugh at me or help me out, he triggered a large cornice break presumably by just plunging his tool too far to the left. Luckily we had both stayed far enough to the side that we were both safe, but it was a great example of how far back cornices can break. There was roughly three feet of flat rock exposed by the now missing chunk of snow. Poor Erik was out of sight and likely assumed we were both gonezo. 

With the sun now fully set, and plenty more complex ridge ahead of us, we opted to turn around and investigate our descent options. 

The ridge took us down to an easy couloir that would be really fun to ski in better conditions. For us it was rather firm booting down to our skis at the base. Large chunks of cornice debris covered our skin track from earlier in the day, solidifying our choice to avoid the more threatened routes.

The ski out was err... character building.

To the best of my knowledge this was a new route. If anyone has info on previous winter ascents on these walls I'd love to hear about it. 

P1033880.jpg.43e3a620b46c498db1be3111e43d1df4.jpg

IMG_1379.jpg.eeb4cb4dfe6e71cbc9dc6130481acb15.jpg

Kurt (left) & Erik (right) Following P1

P1033887.jpg.78c19b8328bee999c17ecdc96315c0ee.jpg

Kurt Leading out on P3

IMG_1388.jpg.9f4b488b80baa392f4f5f8f5ddf2a7b6.jpg

IMG_1393.jpg.a5408daeb9b16770cc338daecdeec539.jpg

Erik following the snowy mixed awesomeness

IMG_1405.jpg.3c7977f1769e0697beb8e971b3e8567c.jpg

Questing into the night. Goode in all it's winter glory above Erik's head.

P1033923.jpg.2f9973b229f40c0dc5c0524048f43264.jpg

IMG_1421.JPG.91c9a489efdd2cf1beb975a9557076ef.JPG

Gear Notes:
Standard winter alpine rack w/ maybe a couple extra 10-13cm screws

Approach Notes:
Sled to the Blue Lake trailhead. Skin or boot up to and across the lake.

Edited by Michael Telstad
  • Snaffled 1
  • Rawk on! 2