Banks Lake Map of Routes

mthorman

I decided to create a map of Banks Lake ice climbs to help fellow climbers out. It is through Cal Topo and has all the routes marked from where you can see them on the road. With the exception of a couple that you need to hike up to see (those are marked where the climb is). All the mileposts are marked as references. You should be able to turn those off on the left hand side if they get annoying. Also I added a link to a picture of the route. So if you click on any of the routes you have to copy/paste the link and it should take you to the picture. Basically it can kind of serve as a guide to help people figure out what they are looking at. Anyway let me know what you guys think. I would be happy to try and add or change things as people see mistakes or have good ideas.

https://caltopo.com/m/G61HV

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

OK, here goes. Years and years ago I was at Banks Lake area. At the end of the trip, we spotted these climbs. I honestly don't remember exact location, but they were to the West and I think positioned in East-West, facing North. What are they? guidebook description did not match any of these. 

9F53096D-3CEC-4CF8-81B2-D17BB21EAAFF_1_201_a.jpeg

F426C6C7-382C-457E-B2FB-E603F9F8E278.jpeg

B16F3588-FB0C-44E7-9D39-55401DA62EA0_1_201_a.jpeg

EB7B1583-0DB0-4975-9F01-DBC8D71839F8_1_201_a.jpeg

Those are the climbs in Moses Coulee.  The 1st and 4th pics are of a climb called Butch Cassidy.  But I have NEVER seen that top pitch forming as a skinny pillar....crazy!!  The 3rd pic is Sundance Kid.  And the 2nd pic is of an unnamed route that has only formed a couple times that I am aware of.  Jens Holsten and Shaun Johnson climbed it in January of 2017.

Edited by mthorman
  • Like 1