• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   12/08/21

Thanks for visiting Cascadeclimbers.com.   Yep, we are still going!    Just put a new coat of paint on the site. Still the same old community of climbers, skiers, and people who love to get outdoors. Hope you had a great 2021, and wish you the best for 2022 and beyond.  Thanks again for stopping by.
JasonG

PHOTO OF THE DAY!

16 hours ago, JasonG said:

I love waking up above the marine layer in the summertime....

image.png.dafd25ac4bcc9df90bf3397f337ecd50.png

thats a lot of cotton

Carbon glacier detail on Tahoma:

image.png.74b187c9fe2c365eb21c845299a835b1.png

• Like 1

Sticking with the Tahoma theme.....there is more to MRNP than "The Mountain".... the Chossdawgs approaching Sluiskin.

image.png.047027a05e2e1fb0d45c243b57f21b80.png

Sluiskin was my first significant solo when I was 14 or 15 years old.  Mom dropped me off at trailhead and went hiking with Mountaineers to whatever lake is up the carbon river.   Rocked out to a cassette player on the hike.  I climbed up and down past a roped up party who sternly admonished me.  Everyone must have thought we were crazy.   I miss those days, when the mountains were new and wonderful, so much.

Edited by dberdinka
  • Rawk on! 1

This is so great @dberdinka and so unexpected!  I can see it!!  I hear you about the wonder of those first trips.  For me, I still get a little bit of that old excitement going to new places with good friends.  But I know what you mean, we aren't young any more.....

Remind me to tell you the story about getting our permit for this trip.  It is one of the most entertaining exchanges I've ever had with the NPS......

You probably know the feeling....  @therunningdog starting up into the uncertainty on the north ridge of Blum:

image.png.e8a258f9b1cd3748c901912d84ba43bd.png

Mount Jefferson and Jefferson Park, pre-fire.  Anybody seen it since?

image.png.d8ff481598c6846cf63af08cd30cb915.png

Has anyone been to the area where this is taken from?  Hint, the trail is in Canada, but you come into the US for the best views.

image.png.1f8500f1703651e9f68c99c694f26b57.png

• Like 1

Unfortunately the smoke followed me in from Canada, so the views were... somewhat limited:

61e41de0df510_hozomeen-10.jpg.1efe32e2276a82c49ac877f1c0ad5f92.jpg

I believe that is for @SeanO, @Phil K, but my photo is from a lesser known vantage on the other side of the valley....worth a visit!

And, I can also recommend Hozomeen Lake for a view up towards @SeanO in that photo!

A bit higher on the ridge from the last photo I posted.  Can you guess the summit?

image.png.0c3bc74c8e42cbc760c5154300f45dee.png

oh man @SeanO, that sounds miserable! 

I can attest to the nastiness of that brush around the lake. I remember it quite well from our S. Hozomeen trip!

BTW, Tim in the TR above is @therunningdog who you ran into with me on Forbidden last summer....

Way to push through and tag South Hozomeen, @JasonG and @therunningdog!  One of these years I'll have to get up there when Canada is not on fire to nab that, plus whatever else is reachable from that long trailhead drive.  I'm definitely a bit wiser in interpreting Beckey beta approach descriptions than I was before...

On 12/6/2021 at 8:19 PM, lunger said:

is that Klawatti et al. taken from Primus or Tricouni?

oops, sorry @lunger!  Yes, on the way to both of those peaks.  Such a cool area!

Speaking of Primus....here is a photo of it from an unusual vantage (Teebone ridge):

image.png.49ff40f0404b5e94a3b778eb6efe7c7d.png

I don't get tired of looking at the Eldorado group, especially from the north.  This view is from Ragged Ridge:

image.png.a900cc82ebe8861af844111ac71a0ffd.png

I still need to go back for Tasman!!

Smokey sunset below Primus/Tricouni:

image.png.645430bcbeadac0015a09812f0ff8266.png

If it gets La Nina fat later this season, is anyone going for a ski of West Mac?

image.png.dc6f97d327cb7aaa1c942167eb24a676.png

• Like 2

So many possibilities:

image.png.8e712f17d9a7e9374eb8281151d4f026.png

• Like 1

IMG_2895.jpeg.f27fc1b370ced2e396b92f75a0d7f2d0.jpeg

I've found that exposed sandstone scrambling is very unappealing for me. Turned around just after this photo. SW Ridge of West Temple in Zion.