[TR] Cabinet Mountains/Ojibway Peak - SW Face Standard Route (III 5.7) 09/04/2021

Nick Sweeney

Trip: Cabinets Mountains/Ojibway Peak - SW Face Standard Route (III 5.7)

Trip Date: 09/04/2021

Trip Report:

Listen up nerds, climbing in the Cascades is just too easy.  Good trails, tons of beta, and the routefinding decisions typically come down to "follow the clean rock" or "ascend the obvious gully."  Western Montana has some REAL adventure climbing.  Alright, I'm being somewhat facetious, but the Cabinets are RAD. It's incredibly rugged up there and the vertical relief is impressive.  Even a scramble route in this area is going to feel like a massive adventure.  Not that these peaks are super tall (the giants of the range are around 8000 feet) but the valleys are so deep that the scale is similar to that of larger, higher ranges. I finally made the trip and in case you haven't noticed, I'm PSYCHED and the trailheads for this range are only three hours from my front door. Anyone want to get back there for a big adventure in the next couple of weeks before the season closes? I have my eyes on a few things.

Check out my TR for Ojibway on my site: SPOKALPINE

Gear Notes:
A single rack .2-3 works great for the standard route. 70m rope recommended but a 60m will do you just fine.

Approach Notes:
Easy, until it's not. But still easy...

Edited by Nick Sweeney
  • Rawk on! 2