What is your photo system and why?

JasonG

Thanks to @olyclimber for creating a safe space for a photo nerd like me.....

If you're here, you probably care about your photos.  Or maybe you are just here to make fun of people that carry too much weight!

But, regardless, what is your photo system and why?

For me, it is a full frame dSLR (nikon D750), mostly because the mirrorless options weren't quite there yet when I bought my latest camera. Why full frame??  That is a very good question....but I am just a sucker for a nice image and a 35mm sensor seems to to that and still be something you can carry up a mountain.

My main lens is a Nikon 24-120mm f4 that is OK, but not great.  I sometimes lug a 70-300mm tele that is f3.5-5.6ish.  Nothing fancy since the finance minister (and my kids) won't let be spring for f2.8 glass or better.  My one splurge is a 20mm f1.8 that I bought used for astrophotraphy.  I hang a Lowepro case on my chest to carry the camera, supported by p-cord and biners off the pack straps.

For more technical routes (~>5.5ish) I have a Canon S120 on my shoulder strap.

Now, I would probably spring for a Canon R5 or Nikon Z7 for a dSLR  and a Sony RX100 for a P&S....  Maybe in a few years.....

P1270642.JPG.fcc1b9404979bab09a8530c2baac9ea0.JPG

The nerd on the summit of Mt. Anderson earlier this summer....

• Like 2

Same boat as Otto. I've been hesitant to pick up an RX100 though for a bit now just because friends of mine have had durability issues with them. Supposedly they've been getting better and better about that with each version. I'll be looking to take the next step up here soon I think. Wanting a bit more than my iPhone and Sony RX0.

@Otto.....if you don't care about shooting RAW, I think you could go with something much cheaper than the RX100.  I've always had good luck with Canon P&S cameras, and have never broken one, actually.  My sons still use my older ones for messing around and they haven't killed one either!

You may check this one out, it would likely fit the bill:  https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/cameras/point-and-shoot-digital-cameras/long-zoom-cameras/powershot-sx620-hs

23 hours ago, JasonG said:

Thanks to @olyclimber for creating a safe space for a photo nerd like me.....

If you're here, you probably care about your photos.  Or maybe you are just here to make fun of people that carry too much weight!

But, regardless, what is your photo system and why?

For me, it is a full frame dSLR (nikon D750), mostly because the mirrorless options weren't quite there yet when I bought my latest camera. Why full frame??  That is a very good question....but I am just a sucker for a nice image and a 35mm sensor seems to to that and still be something you can carry up a mountain.

My main lens is a Nikon 24-120mm f4 that is OK, but not great.  I sometimes lug a 70-300mm tele that is f3.5-5.6ish.  Nothing fancy since the finance minister (and my kids) won't let be spring for f2.8 glass or better.  My one splurge is a 20mm f1.8 that I bought used for astrophotraphy.  I hang a Lowepro case on my chest to carry the camera, supported by p-cord and biners off the pack straps.

For more technical routes (~>5.5ish) I have a Canon S120 on my shoulder strap.

Now, I would probably spring for a Canon R5 or Nikon Z7 for a dSLR  and a Sony RX100 for a P&S....  Maybe in a few years.....

P1270642.JPG.fcc1b9404979bab09a8530c2baac9ea0.JPG

The nerd on the summit of Mt. Anderson earlier this summer....

Glad you made it up there, I wish I could have made it with you.  This year between my mom almost passing a couple times (she didn't and is holding on great once they figured out how to keep her going), and myself (kidney stone, finally resolved with a procedure I won't share as I don't want to think about it) my summer got shot to hell.  I felt lucky to go hiking on the beach the times I have.  Do look forward to doing the Bowron and this fall and a November AK trip.

I actually have a Sony RX100 Mark 4 I might be willing to let go of if someone is in the market. It does have an issue, like i think i may have put a crack in the screen or something. I'll have to dig it out and figure that out.  Great camera though, and it was the best one a while back when I bought it for outdoor adventures i think where you need a super compact camera.

I have had great look with the small Canon point and shoot cameras over the years.     Mostly I'm shooting my Canon 5D Mark III, but usually don't bring it on hikes/climbs as its heavy. 

Thanks for starting the thread. I'm not inclined to carry something bulky but want photos better than my iPhone. 

My main concern is about durability, particularly WRT dust. I have found carrying a camera in my pocket the failure mode tends to be the motor to extend/retract the lens. Can you comment on how the Sony and Canon are on this front? Do I just need to change my carrying mode? I sweat and am not excited about a fanny pack. Maybe a small case on a belt?I had some Canon powershot's back before the internet was invented, even a couple of Fuji underwater pocket ones, but no recent history. TIA!

On 8/30/2021 at 1:39 PM, Rad said:

Thanks for starting the thread. I'm not inclined to carry something bulky but want photos better than my iPhone. 

My main concern is about durability, particularly WRT dust. I have found carrying a camera in my pocket the failure mode tends to be the motor to extend/retract the lens. Can you comment on how the Sony and Canon are on this front? Do I just need to change my carrying mode? I sweat and am not excited about a fanny pack. Maybe a small case on a belt?I had some Canon powershot's back before the internet was invented, even a couple of Fuji underwater pocket ones, but no recent history. TIA!

My light setup is an RX100, picked because it shoots well RAW.  I have a compact case that I strap to my pack shoulder pad and have a webbing loop over my head clipped to the camera.  Thus easy access and secure.

My main kit is the Nikon D7100 with a 17-35, 2.8 lens.   Heavy, but really, there is no substitute for good glass.

Edited by Jim
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

I've been very happy with my Olympus EM5 mk ii.  It hits a sweet spot between size and image quality.   Plus its weatherproof and very durable.   I've amassed a bucketload of lenses but most of my favorite images come from the 12-40 F2.8.   

I also own a pocket camera, a Canon G7x, but I haven't taken many pics I've been wild about.   The corners are just too soft, especially on the wide-angle end of the zoom range.

Talkeetna Mountains AK:

sUVe8Y2CQqhYjn_UdnI9pRhtSaM3P4r68wXRUoPe

Just some no-name, locals only crag you've probably never heard of:

AM-JKLURXOdubXmK7sB69pikr_plr8KBVOQJYyTt

Skier and avalanche on Hunter.  This was heavily cropped, maybe 100% or close, and I'm still happy. 

TkvOGAsyQjz67d0OaFhJf1o89WwYzJyqItD0FGcH

Edited by Jake_Gano

Those are great images Jake!  All are a good reminder that the best camera is one you will have in your hand in moments like you've shared.  Unless you have it handy, you will miss the best shots nearly all the time.  So, a lot to be said for the smaller SLRs.  I really would like to lighten up at some point with a mirrorless setup.  I am thinking Z6 or Z7, but I'll probably have to wait for mine to die.