ONP permit system questions

tanstaafl

OK all you Olympic National Park people, how the heck do you decipher the permit system?  I am trying for once not to just give up and go somewhere else.

The website says you have to reserve your permit on recreation.gov.  There does not appear to be an option to stay anywhere but in a developed/designated campsite.  I see trip reports by people doing ridge traverses and bivying along the way, which is what I would like to do; but I can't find any option on the site that would allow for a permit that isn't staying in a designated campsite.  I've called the WIC but have little hope they will call back.  Any advice?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, tanstaafl said:

OK all you Olympic National Park people, how the heck do you decipher the permit system?  I am trying for once not to just give up and go somewhere else.

The website says you have to reserve your permit on recreation.gov.  There does not appear to be an option to stay anywhere but in a developed/designated campsite.  I see trip reports by people doing ridge traverses and bivying along the way, which is what I would like to do; but I can't find any option on the site that would allow for a permit that isn't staying in a designated campsite.  I've called the WIC but have little hope they will call back.  Any advice?

they will only issue certain backcountry permits by phone (e.g. bailey range, upper royal basin).  If you leave a message they will likely call back.  Good luck and have fun!

you are so right, I actually just got off the phone with a very nice ranger, so I was too pessimistic in my outlook.

He explained that basically if you want any kind of climbing/off the beaten path route, you need to call, since recreation.gov is not exactly set up to deal with requests that are in any way out of the ordinary.  Super helpful guy.  Now if the forecast just keeps improving we'll be in business....

19 hours ago, tanstaafl said:

you are so right, I actually just got off the phone with a very nice ranger, so I was too pessimistic in my outlook.

He explained that basically if you want any kind of climbing/off the beaten path route, you need to call, since recreation.gov is not exactly set up to deal with requests that are in any way out of the ordinary.  Super helpful guy.  Now if the forecast just keeps improving we'll be in business....

Of our three NPs, I have found the "customer service" to be very different in each, and the ONP to be the best of the three by far!  Glad it worked out for you !

8 hours ago, KaskadskyjKozak said:

I have found the "customer service" to be very different in each

:crosseye:  Ain't that the truth!  My experience at ONP definitely jives with yours.  Best of the bunch (on average), by far.

Some of the ranger interaction stories I have personally collected over the years from the other two parks boggle the mind.  I mean I understand that they work with the public and all, but..... ONP shows that you can thread that needle with the right leadership!

14 hours ago, JasonG said:

:crosseye:  Ain't that the truth!  My experience at ONP definitely jives with yours.  Best of the bunch (on average), by far.

Some of the ranger interaction stories I have personally collected over the years from the other two parks boggle the mind.  I mean I understand that they work with the public and all, but..... ONP shows that you can thread that needle with the right leadership!

totally agree with you!  so far I have not had a bad experience with the ONP rangers.  They do have a ton of visitors and still are able to manage things quite well.  my only gripe is that bear cannisters are still required in some places.  I love my ursack - so much easier to haul around