Terror Basin \ West Mac Beta

korengalois

Hello all,

I'm planning a trip at the end of the month into the Southern Pickets. Planning to spend two nights in Terror Basin and take a day trip up West McMillan Spire. May also try to go up the Pyramid but that's less likely. I'm interested in info/beta related to the following:

• Approach to Terror Basin
  • Snow finger descending into the Terror Basin Camp
  • State of Terror Glacier
  • West Mac Spire itself 
  • Any other misc info (first trip into the Pickets)

Lastly its possible we could extend the trip by a day. If you could extend this itinerary from 3 to 4 days what would you consider adding? E.g. summiting the pyramid, spending a night in Crescent Creek or Chopping Block camps, etc

Thanks

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was just up there yesterday.  The approach trail is pretty beaten-in, with a bit of dirt/choss getting down to camp. Terror Glacier is definitely more of a broken-up pain in the butt than when I was there in 2014, so you'll deal with steep polished slabs, crevasses, and bare ice getting to Pyramid.  The high glacier traverse I used in 2014 between West Mac and Pyramid looks like it may no longer go. The 'schrund/moat getting to the Barrier was a bit dicey, too.qvsTg1jQ8kv00Zn7awvfjnHttaAELyZI-yGVzxPKPgg-2048x1536.thumb.jpg.af94a6af134410ac3ad951ecf2fbd9df.jpg

Edited by seano-
clarify

Right -- I think most of the difficulties are getting over to the barrier, and getting to West Mac is about the same as always. You can see on the photo that it's a mix of snow and slabs.

As for my "itinerary"... up Crescent Creek approach to the Chopping Block, getting served by the Twin Needles, then exiting via the Barrier and Terror Basin. A long day without much to show for it. :-(

tanstaafl -- The "trail" continued just about straight across or very slightly downstream from where I reached Terror Creek; there was a cairn, and some sparse flagging both before and after.  I waded the creek slightly upstream after failing to find a dry crossing, but it was gentle and no more than calf-deep.  I had more trouble following the trail below the creek crossing than above. You might be able to get a rough elevation/position from my Strava track: https://www.strava.com/activities/5652706440