Shuksan North face bushwhack recommendations

Kameron

Hi folks, I've done a good amount of digging into the recommended summer route to the base of the north face of Shuksan. It seems like most people recommend descending into White Salmon creek in big timber where possible, crossing the creek, then sticking in big timber on the other side and climb up the slope N of the creek until it opens up. The upper part is near and above treeline terrain that looks like easy travel.

I'm curious what folks recommend as the starting point. I'm deciding between the lower but farther downstream White Salmon logging road (red) or the higher but more upstream cat track road to the clearcut below chair 8 (purple).

image.png.6ae53b171b4027b7bea08192ae6194ef.png

I'm familiar with the winter route and would like to minimize pain of approach if I head up there soon.

Thanks for any advice you can offer. Happy schwacking

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

good question.  I never did the route where you needed to go back up the other side on your purple line but that red line looks like it has advantages.  less drop down to creek, being more downstream may have less slide alder and a lower angle up hill on other side.  let us know what you find out when you go up that route.

There is a climbers trail through part of your purple line. Walk to the end of the road, near some old logging equipment, and dive straight downhill into the big trees. Cross the creek and veer up and right. Look at the satellite image for big trees, then the meadows once you gain the ridge. It's not that bad by Cascade standards.

3 hours ago, kurthicks said:

..... into the big trees.... Look at the satellite image for big trees, then the meadows once you gain the ridge. It's not that bad by Cascade standards.

Words of wisdom here. Big evergreen trees (dark green on sat images) generally means pine needles and ferns on the forest floor instead of brush. The last thing you want is the light green on satellite images that is slide alder or prickers or other shrubbery where yu can't see your feet, are swimming through a tangle of branches, need leather gloves, and will be exhausted from covering even half a mile. 

Welcome to the Wet side!