Any unique conditions Challenger/Luna Area?

NatDerox

I have permits for the XC zones for challenger and Luna June 15-21.  Was planning to head up to challenger arm via Wiley/Eiley ridge specifically for photography, in particular astrophotography of the Milky Way over Luna if the weather cooperates; hopefully make my way across Luna cirque to do the same for the southern pickets from Luna Col.  I might scramble Luna if I’m feeling strong after hauling all my camera gear around.

I haven’t been up there, any knowledge if the log jam bridge survived the winter or other changes/obstacles I should look out for?

here’s a random picture of a past outing just to make this more exciting than a bunch of text 

635C8CB7-B255-4EC0-B7C7-92B2FC840782.jpeg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As with any pickets trip for a defined window, I think your biggest obstacle will be the weather.  

I imagine there will be a log to cross (seems like there always is), but maybe not in the exact spot as last year. 

Great shot!  What is your astro lens of choice?

That one was shot on the Sigma 14-24 2.8 DG DN; I just got my pre-order of the new Sony 14/1.8 so I am stoked to run it through its paces! 

I also like the Sony 24/1.4 which sometimes I have on a second body to do night motion time lapse clips while my primary is doing the still sequences for stacking.

32 minutes ago, Stefan said:

How did you do that?

You put in for the lottery at the end of March each year.  Shhhhhh. :wink:

It used to be poorly known, but I heard this year they got 5k applications.  Oh well, it was good while it lasted.

18 hours ago, JasonG said:

You put in for the lottery at the end of March each year.  Shhhhhh. :wink:

It used to be poorly known, but I heard this year they got 5k applications.  Oh well, it was good while it lasted.

fuck one needs a permit in the pickets?  I thought it was a free for all up there.

19 hours ago, Stefan said:

How did  you get a permit for the XC zone at least one week in advance of the dates?

The Park Service has told me I can't get a XC zone permit until the day before or the day of the trip.

How did you do that?

Yeah I did the lottery! I’d bet that most of the applications stick to established trails and campsites. 

I did get exactly what I asked for but I also took advantage of the fact that it’s a very “human” lottery so you can put things like “I’ll take any combination of zones to do a out-and-back traverse that avoids glaciers or 5th class climbing”……and a ranger will actually read that and try to get you something.

Just have to get in before the application period closes and reverts to walk-ups only.

As far as I could gather this is overnights only; anything car-2-car you can just go for it.

Edited by NatDerox

• 2 weeks later...