How Light is too Light?

Bronco

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I love light gear, the Dragonfly isn't going to be very windproof, durable, water resistant, etc. I think I saw them at Feathered Friends. It's meant as a light windshirt for milder conditions. You might want to check out the Epic windshirts made by Golite, Wild Things, FF, etc, which are windproof and supposed to be very water resistant.

24020_982 3 oz Dragonfly from patagonia. anyone tried it? Looks too light to be real, but, I'd save about 1.5 pounds over my Dimension Jacket and even heavier Gortex Jacket. Looks like Golite has a similar (cheaper) one.

image bastards! madgo_ron.gif anyone see what I done wrong?

I have a similar windshirt from Montane that I take on every trip. The material is water resistant, not waterproof, so it sheds off mist and light rain and snow, but you'll probably get soaked in a downpour. I wear it over a base layer while moving in cold weather, and will layer fleece insulation under it in when moving slowly. I still carry a light waterproof, breathable jacket in my pack, but only use it in the rain.

Works for me. laugh.gif

It's hard to see what kind of a piece you are after, comparing your Goretex to a little shell thingy like that. If it's light foul-weather stuff you are after, the MEC Helios might do the trick. If it's for lighter weather, there is a lot out there that is not made by Patagucci, and will thereby be cheaper. The Marmot Precip's a nice piece, and REI's got some decent shell pieces in their line.

they let us out of spray! GAH!

Watch it buddy, your in my house now... the_finger.gifwave.gif

Bronco,

My wife was using a Patagonia Neumatic (light weight/water resistant/ windproof) shell on Glacier peak this summer. Needless to say, it wasn't "cuttin the mustard" so to speak...

When the shit hits the fan, you'll quickly forget about the numbers in the catalogs and want a real coat. Otherwise, don't ever get caught up high in a bad storm....

I have a Marmot Lightspeed Jacket. Kicks ass. Light as hell for the amount of protection it gives you . Been in downpoors,heavy wind and bushwacked a lot in it. Durable.

In general, to save weight on jackets, I NEVER compromise on the material, get the good stuff. Don't get the coats that have tons of bells and whistles. They just add weight. Heavy metal zippers add weight. Cool mesh lining adds weight. I don't find it usefull if you are wearing a layer underneathe anyway. A lot of jackets have a lot of crap on them you don't need. What you need are, 2 pockets, pit zips, a hood, durable, and good waterproof/breathable material.

In general, to save weight on jackets, I NEVER compromise on the material, get the good stuff. Don't get the coats that have tons of bells and whistles. They just add weight. Heavy metal zippers add weight. Cool mesh lining adds weight. I don't find it useful if you are wearing a layer underneathe anyway. A lot of jackets have a lot of crap on them you don't need. What you need are, 2 pockets, pit zips, a hood, durable, and good waterproof/breathable material.

Yep, and Bill has exactly described the MEC Helios here. I actually got the Cabrio, a little bit heavier, right at one pound with hood, despite being a lightweight freak, because I am one of those people who, er, enjoys, um, bushwhacking. My stuff sees abrasion abuse.

Talk more about windshells that repel water a little bit. All I have in this category is going to need to be replaced this year I think.

When the shit hits the fan, you'll quickly forget about the numbers in the catalogs and want a real coat. Otherwise, don't ever get caught up high in a bad storm....
I agree Lambone, and it's nice to have a heavier coat on routes where ice rains down on you to absorb some of the pain. The psychological comfort of xcr body armor is nice in a good cascade blizzard.

Marmot Precip. Any real complaints about this jacket?

Yeah I've had one for two years now. The fit totally sucks, I could make a trimmer coat out of a garbage bag. And it's only water proof for about 20 minutes when it's really raining out. Better for walkin the dog than anything else...

"If it's for lighter weather, there is a lot out there that is not made by Patagucci, and will thereby be cheaper."

Of course you can always call up an outlet (patagonia, sierratradingpost,...) and get what you want for alot less....

The Dragonfly is see through (no joke). Might work ok for a warm summer rain, probably not much more. I've had good luck with the Essenshell Pullover - weighs 12-13oz or so. 2 pockets, good hood, doesn't layer badly - arm fit is a little loose though. Has worked nicely on Hood this winter (which I suppose makes it a good summer jacket). And since they can't seem to give them away they've been dirt cheap this year at the outlets (no more than $50, depending on what color).