[TR] Broken Top - Full Richardson 04/05/2021

ACosta

Trip: Broken Top - Full Richardson

Trip Date: 04/05/2021

Trip Report:

Yesterday my partner Artem and I got up close and personal with the slog to climb ratio in the Three Sisters. Spoiler alert: it was worth it. 

I’d soloed the North Buttress of Broken Top the week before and had seen the Full Richardson in fat shape. The amount (for Central Oregon) of ice back there is spectacular; the potential for harder/ bolder mixed and smear lines is exciting. I knew I’d be back very soon. 

It’s a special thing to be able to sleep in your own warm bed before an alpine climb, and I met Artem at Dutchman Flat at a leisurely 4:30am.   

A long but pretty flat and beautiful approach ensued, taking us down to the Todd Lake area before heading up to Ball Butte and eventually dropping onto the benign Bend Glacier. 

We saw a group camped out below the glacier but they sadly didn’t echo our hoots and hollers. Sad day. 

606cb7381db4a_IMG_2237(2).thumb.jpg.682a90dcaed9c762edabf3109b634f8a.jpg

The Richardson and the North Buttress couloir are obvious once on the western end of the Bend Glacier. We soloed the first optional step in the couloir, easy WI2, easily avoidable but more fun and a good warmup. Steep snow ensued, and the second WI2 step was similarly short and easy. I went ahead to slam a picket and screw to belay Artem on the money pitch. 

Artem wrapping up the first ice step:

IMG_2247.thumb.jpg.0cb19d3f875ac6edc146b6da405118ec.jpg

Artem headed up, carefully working his way up the steep and blobby ice, looking cool and poised. It was silent other than the rhythmic thuds of kick kick, swing swing that echoed through the amphitheater. 

606cb78aade53_IMG_2250(1).thumb.jpg.1c2689c74ae4f85c3089aab4778a2bbf.jpg

IMG_2257.thumb.jpg.91c9cf7228c52544baf7a2ac2657999f.jpg

IMG_0666.thumb.jpg.e393fd7cd163210013e3cfbc39ca7ffa.jpg

He decided to belay 3/4’s of the way up the ~35-40m flow. I was glad to move again after cooling off severely in the shaded amphitheater below; fighting off the barfies proved to be the crux of the pitch! I climbed through his belay and topped out, finding another bomber screw and picket belay a few feet above the flow. 

IMG_2262.thumb.jpg.d920737dc85e1e0dc1e2b06587c33400.jpg

I put the rope away and we headed up the snow slope to the northwest ridge. The week before, the summit eluded me as I was turned around by bottomless sugar snow on the snow ramp option on the east side of the summit block. Not wanting to down-solo the regular summer route, I called it good. But this time, armed with a rope and a partner, I was determined to get er’ done. We followed my tracks up the snow ramp. The snow hadn’t gotten better above my dead-end, so Artem put in a picket in the somewhat hardened snow in our tracks. I traversed a few feet right to where I could hook some “rock,” slung a partially detached horn of choss, and climbed a few pretty moderate mixed moves to get us on top! 

IMG_2265.thumb.jpg.7d0ac59a0a653aee013e2ade29a9d49f.jpg

From there we slung a block, unable to find tat, and rapped off to the west, joining the NW ridge walk off. We down climbed some steep snow back onto the glacier and back to our packs. 

I finished my last sip of water (suffer mode engaged!) and we prepared for the 8-ish mile ski out. 

IMG_2273.thumb.jpg.4f6c7d7dbdcc2a3eb1f524ff734a5adf.jpg

We were pretty psyched to find the Cascades Lake highway freshly groomed for us as we skinned back out. The golden hour light and the calm of the evening faded some of the fatigue as we stumbled back to the car. 

Overall this took us about 14hrs round trip from Dutchman’s at a pretty relaxed pace all day. 

The grade of WI4/4+ feels about right; the climbing is sustained on the pitch, and while not dead vertical, the blobby ice made it interesting. 

We are both pretty psyched on the potential of at least repeating some of the burlier looking lines back there; any additional info on other routes would be appreciated! For now though I need a bit of a break from that approach! 

Gear Notes:
11 screws, 1 picket, 60m half rope

Approach Notes:
Slog from Dutchman's

Edited by ACosta
  • Like 2
  • Snaffled 1
  • Rawk on! 5