[TR] Barometer Mountain, Baroclinic Zone - S Ridge Up, N Ridge Down 02/27/2021

geosean

Trip: Barometer Mountain, Baroclinic Zone - S Ridge Up, N Ridge Down

Trip Date: 02/27/2021

Trip Report:

Me, @thedylan and @MGraw skied Barometer Mountain last saturday with the goal of skiing out down what has been called the Baroclinic Zone. I don't know if this is a well-accepted name but we found it on Caltopo.

We dropped a car at the Salmon Ridge Snopark at the Nooksack bridge, then got a buddy to give us a ride to Heather Meadows. Thanks Dave! We skinned over Herman Saddle and Galena Butte getting great light powder turns, then followed some guys up the south ridge of Barometer. They set a great skin track and I was glad I told them so when we later found out they are CC poobahs, great meeting you guys!

The skiing off the summit was great, then a short skin up to the 5500' point on the north ridge of Barometer. From here we had a great time skiing 3300' down to Anderson Creek Road and out to the car. There were some tight trees and some brush but it was great (we called it mini ski mountaineering to adjust the mental picture of what is acceptable fun). The snow coverage was good all the way to the car where we had chips and beer. 

A great time was had by all!

Me and Dylan nearing point 5500':

PXL_20210227_214546034.thumb.jpg.c8e4ebd76abece68d40b2e8879f5d66d.jpg

Great tree powder:

PXL_20210227_222319454.thumb.jpg.e05b70997720bd9d272851eff26c9a9c.jpg

Photos by Mike, scouting trip 3 days prior by Mike and Dylan, nice work!

Gear Notes:
Skis

Approach Notes:
Car shuttle was clutch!
  • Rawk on! 3