[TR] Mt Shasta - Avalanche Gulch 02/22/2021

adventure43

Trip: Mt Shasta - Avalanche Gulch

Trip Date: 02/22/2021

Trip Report:

https://imgur.com/gallery/2HQrTOd

Followed tracks until they disappeared somewhere after the Horse Camp turnoff. Snow was varied as usual; some firm crust, some breakable, some soft and fluffy that required kicking in several times to get any support. The steeper section by the Heart was firm. Switched from snowshoes to crampons at Thumb Rock then down climbed and walked way around the crevasse / bergschrund. Rocks on Misery Hill had a thin rime coating making travel easy. Didn't sink in too deep on the summit plateau. Summit block had neat undisturbed rime formations. 

Gear Notes:
Snowshoes, whippets, crampons, helmet, ice axe (used for little down climb from Thumb Rock)

Approach Notes:
Walk up the gulch
  • Rawk on! 2

On 2/24/2021 at 8:16 AM, JasonG said:

Great, thanks for the report from Shasta!  It is still on my list, though I am thinking a spring ski might be the ticket, given the long drive (for me).

Spring ski is definitely the best way to go on Shasta, the mountain is made for it. Look at the Hotlum Wintun route if you enjoy some steeper angle, otherwise the west face if it ever fills in with snow this year.

• 2 months later...