Scottish Ice

bedellympian

14 hours ago, bigeo said:

That's crazy! Riding a motorcycle with no fukking helmet.

Or gloves!  I don't know how many of you have ridden a motorcycle any distance in the winter but you'd better have some good gloves or you're going to have some pretty bad screaming barfies.  Maybe it was part of his conditioning program?

1 hour ago, Bronco said:

Maybe it was part of his conditioning program?

I seem to remember some Eastern bloc alpinist saying that he trained for winter climbing by taking ice cold showers and making snow balls with bare hands.  He claimed you could train your body to stay warm at all metabolic costs, i.e. not shunt blood from your extremities.

45 minutes ago, JasonG said:

I seem to remember some Eastern bloc alpinist saying that he trained for winter climbing by taking ice cold showers and making snow balls with bare hands.  He claimed you could train your body to stay warm at all metabolic costs, i.e. not shunt blood from your extremities.

Herman Buhl if I recall correctly.

http://www.alpinist.com/doc/web14s/wfeature-hermann-buhl

I've tried it out, got a lot of funny looks but not sure if it's helped my capillaries hold their ground. At least it's good mental fortitude training :crash:

Edit:

Trying to find the original source for the Buhl snowball method and it reminded me that I'd read it in Twight's Extreme Alpinism. My searching also finds references to Bonatti doing the same. 

Looks like a more dialed in method is to alternate icy and hot water: https://www.nytimes.com/1988/01/19/science/simple-method-found-to-warm-cold-hands.html

Edited by sfuji
  • Thanks 1

EXTREME ALPINISM!  Yes, of course.  Such a great read.

I was once taken to task by Dr. Doom himself (via IG) for not packing a lighter in every pocket, "as the book says".  I had doomed @Trent and I's "Unsuccessful" Cleaver trip on Rainier due to forgetting a lighter (D'oh!), so we couldn't melt snow high on the mountain.  For Twight, that was just too stupid of a reason to retreat.  He hasn't met me, however - that is just the beginning of my stupidity!

You would have thought he was referring to the Bible, but no, HIS bible.  :lmao:

• LMAO 1

• 9 months later...