• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
jojoclimber

Climbing with invisalign - tips?

So I just started with invisalign and as those who have gone through it (or still are) know, you need to keep them in for a recommended 22 hrs/day. I've found random blog posts on how to manage them when you're out backpacking. What I'm trying to figure out is how to manage a full-day multipitch climb, or a glacier climb, or any other activity when you need to eat on-the-go or quickly down a couple bites, especially if one or both hands are needed for rope management, etc.

The only work around I can come up with is to just leave the trays in and eat very soft foods (like soft cheese or energy gels or shot blox) that won't crack the trays as you (carefully) chew. On long, strenuous days I need to have some protein and fat--just having sugary energy gels doesn't provide enough long-term fuel. Those small peanut butter or almond butter packets that also have honey or maple syrup (Justin's is one brand) could work. The drawback is that you then have food/sugar residue between the tray and teeth all day until you get a chance to brush and clean. But maybe that's only an issue if you do that for several days in a row or your teeth are more prone to accumulating plaque.

Anyone have good tips? I suspect that they wouldn't exactly be orthodontist-approved, but in this case I think it's a matter of trade-offs.

Edited by jojoclimber
removed tags