Climbing with invisalign - tips?

jojoclimber

So I just started with invisalign and as those who have gone through it (or still are) know, you need to keep them in for a recommended 22 hrs/day. I've found random blog posts on how to manage them when you're out backpacking. What I'm trying to figure out is how to manage a full-day multipitch climb, or a glacier climb, or any other activity when you need to eat on-the-go or quickly down a couple bites, especially if one or both hands are needed for rope management, etc.

The only work around I can come up with is to just leave the trays in and eat very soft foods (like soft cheese or energy gels or shot blox) that won't crack the trays as you (carefully) chew. On long, strenuous days I need to have some protein and fat--just having sugary energy gels doesn't provide enough long-term fuel. Those small peanut butter or almond butter packets that also have honey or maple syrup (Justin's is one brand) could work. The drawback is that you then have food/sugar residue between the tray and teeth all day until you get a chance to brush and clean. But maybe that's only an issue if you do that for several days in a row or your teeth are more prone to accumulating plaque.

Anyone have good tips? I suspect that they wouldn't exactly be orthodontist-approved, but in this case I think it's a matter of trade-offs.

Edited by jojoclimber
removed tags

• 4 months later...

do you really need to keep them in for your infrequent climbing trips?  I can see if you are climbing 3 days a week but if you are a fair weather weekend warrior, just leave them out while climbing.

It may be a bad idea to do heavy exertion with those things in also.  chocking hazard?  what if you crack your head in a fall with those inside?

BTW, I offer no real educated advice here.   just thoughts from a goofball.  take it for what it is worth.

For food/drink on big outings where I need to go light, move fast, and not stop to offload solids, I consume a mix of water, Nuun, and protein powder to keep energized and hydrated. Swallow caffeine or ibuprofen pills as needed and I'm able to tap into my super powers. It's not the tastiest mix, but it keeps me going. Nuts, cheese, chocolate for the summit. Notice I didn't mention invisalign. I've never had them. Experiment to figure out what works best for you. And have fun!

@genepires you have to leave them in 20-22 hours a day, so leaving them out a day or two here and there could make your treatment longer. No they are not a choking hazard--you have to pry them off your teeth. I frequently do 3-day trips and the occasional longer trips, plus after-work sessions at the exits here and there. 

@Bronco agree, they are a pita. Shot blox would be good to try. My issue is trying to get protein too. I've been trying drinkable yogurt for all-day cragging, but I don't want to be dragging that up a multi pitch climb. I figure with p'nut butter and honey packets my teeth won't rot out even if can't actually floss, brush until end of the day ;).

@Rad umm, I know how to handle my nutrition when I'm climbing. You can't really be chewing on nuts and other hard stuff with the retainers in, hence my question for workarounds.

@JasonG lol, Beckey was too busy doing first ascents to care about his teeth.