Geezer on Rainier in 2021

Ted Glick

• 1 month later...

I'm over 50 and still enjoy climbing.  I have been waiting for 4 years to do Liberty Ridge with IMG but every year it gets cancelled.  I've done various routes on Rainier and Baker etc...

Shoot me an email/message if you would like.  I'm on the waitlist for Fuhrer Finger (Love this climb with a detour up the Wilson Headwall) in June.  My son and I are planning a Kautz carryover in July so I'm up for something.

Who knows????

Cheers

James LeBouef

• Like 2

Hello.  I could consider a climb.  Not sure on timeline this year, but should figure it out soon.  Have been up Rainier 3 times, and slept on the summit crater twice.  Still dream of spending 2 nights up top, and exploring the ice caves and each prominence on the day between.  If not his year, maybe next.  Was 49 when summited Rainer the first time 50 the second, so am in the over 50 crowd for sure!

Allan

• Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 11:23 PM, schroden said:

Hello.  I could consider a climb.  Not sure on timeline this year, but should figure it out soon.  Have been up Rainier 3 times, and slept on the summit crater twice.  Still dream of spending 2 nights up top, and exploring the ice caves and each prominence on the day between.  If not his year, maybe next.  Was 49 when summited Rainer the first time 50 the second, so am in the over 50 crowd for sure!

Allan

Hi Allan,

Thanks for the note, I sure appreciate it. I've never been on Rainier, but I've been dreaming about it for the past 10 years or so... I'm talking to a group who plan to climb in June, but give me a shout if you make plans for the DC or similarly 'easy' route, and maybe we should talk.

Ted

• Like 1

On 2/20/2021 at 4:55 AM, countrywi said:

I'm over 50 and still enjoy climbing.  I have been waiting for 4 years to do Liberty Ridge with IMG but every year it gets cancelled.  I've done various routes on Rainier and Baker etc...

Shoot me an email/message if you would like.  I'm on the waitlist for Fuhrer Finger (Love this climb with a detour up the Wilson Headwall) in June.  My son and I are planning a Kautz carryover in July so I'm up for something.

Who knows????

Cheers

James LeBouef

Thanks James; I think I DM'ed you instead of replying, sorry about that. Plz let me know if you didn't get the message.

Ted

• Like 1

this is beginning to look like a promising thread.  we got a handful of seventyish antique hardcores in the Wenatchee-Leavenworth area who are always lookin' for fresh meat. we move a little slower each year, but still get on the "interesting" routes -- just take longer.   should we establish a "geezers'" thread?

-Haireball

• Like 2

Ted I got your DM.   Thanks for the reply.  If my June climb is a no go I would be up for anything.  I've been up the DC many times but I just love climbing and don't care about the route  as long as there is good company.  Like I said I know my son and I are shooting for a mid July climb but I will be free for whatever around that.  Lets see what shakes out in the next week.  I am very flexible with my scheduling etc.....

James

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hey.  Good to hear there are “middle aged” climbers out there!  My Seattle plans are set, and airline tickets purchased.  Should be available August 9-13, but depends on routes and conditions, of course!  Would be interested in most anything ‘reasonable’.  Haven’t been up Baker or Olympus yet, and would certainly like more time on Rainier.  Would even entertain short climbs, just to get outside!  I know August can have issues with route deterioration, but my first summit of Rainier was in August, and it was still climbable.  Post here if anything develops, or can PM me as well.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Great thread! I'm a geezer (51) looking to finish a three decade old goal of summiting the 9000'+ peaks of WA. Down to 5: Stuart, Bonanza, Jack, Logan and Buckner. Just ticked NE Buttress of Goode last year. Also looking to keep it "reasonable". Climbing/skiing Shuksan via Sulphide this week so hit me up here or maybe we'll meet up out on the rock! Thanks!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

I'm kind of in your ball park.  I'm 75 but a fairly strong climber.  Just went up Muir a few days ago.  I've been to the top of Rainier at 65 and then once up Schurman route to 13,800 ft.

Call me to discuss 206-755-1697

An Old geezers group would be good.

HI Theo,

I just responded to your post.  I have been up Muir route probably 30 times; up to the Flats a handful of times; up the DC a few times.  I have never turned back due to exhaustion, etc.  Been to the top 10 years ago and up Schurman route almost to the top but turned back due to a white out.  Bottom line:  I'd like to climb up to Muir one day; then go to the flats early on next day and then head up the DC early evening when it is not pitch dark and then traverse up to the top the rest of the way.  The shelters are not open now so would need a tent and rope, etc.  I have had crevesse rescue training but not an expert on this.  I'm familar with the mountain.  Ideally, need a team of 3 or 4 to go all the way.  My experience is once you get past the DC, then it's alot of traversing, etc. to the top. If you are interested, you can reach me at:  206-755-1697; dave@chapmanmortgages.com               

Hi All,

Lots of good traffic on this thread, thank you all... I kind of thought it was already too late in the season for this year, and I've had a lot of personal difficulties in the past few months, so I don't know if anything is feasible for me right now. But I'm certainly still interested in, I dunno, whatever...  Rainier is certainly still on my bucket list. I'm interested in like-minded people around my age (59) who are interested in the most simple, straightforward trip. Nothing fancy as I think even the easiest route will be enough of a challenge. 

I think for "geezers", it's useful to take a bit more time on the approach and in high camp to conserve energy and acclimate for summit day.

On the Emmons, spend the first night at Glacier Basin (and maybe think about Camp Curtis, although that's pretty close to Schurman). For the DC, camp one night on the snowfield around 8500, and then high camp at the Flats the next night (or two).

• 2 weeks later...

My son and I just returned back to Wisconsin from climbing the Coleman Deming Route to the Summit on Mt Baker.  Very icy higher up but absolutely incredible.  I also climbed the Kautz to the summit about three weeks ago.  It too was in great condition.  

I'm all done going out to the PNW for now but I will still follow the forum.  Have to see what comes about for next year.  

There are no other alpine climbers here in Wisconsin besides my son and I (55y/o) so that is a significant downside.  

Good luck and be safe out there!

James LeBouef

• 8 months later...

Hello.

I matched with a climbing partner here a bunch of years ago and thought I would try it again.

I am looking for a couple of people who want to climbg the Camp Muir Cleaver route on Rainer in July 2022.  I wrote in to one person on this thread, but then I realized later that he was posting an interest for 2021.  Ooops.

I have been ON Rainier three times, first time with RMI but bad weather turned us around at about 12.5k on the Direct route.

I went back up two more times unguided but a member of outr party experienced severe altitude sickness both times at about 12k and I turned us around both times.

I have hiked up Longs peak several times (no snow/ice, but same basic height as Rainier), hiked up some weird ones like Ben Nevis Scotland a few times, Mount Whitney after several years in the lottery, and spent a month in the Himalayas in Nepal two different years, crossing over several 18k+ high mountian passes each time.

I am 56.  I know that the Camp Muir route will be the Cleaver by July.  I would really like to get all the way up after three failed attempts, but if it isn't right, it isn't right.  I just want to, don't NEED to.  I have a new person to mountaineering who is the son of a friend.  He is about 35 and very enthusiastic.  The rest of my climbing partners of the past are no longer available due to new jobs, new babies in the house, etc.

I would love to find two people to fill out the team to go this year.  I am taking my young friend up to Longs Peak in early July to spend some time being high up, Chasm Lake, camping at the Boulder field, summiting at some point, just to see how he does with altitude, and so he can learn what various altitude body cues feel like.  If we are able to form a Rainier team, I am planning on working with my young friend on basics before the trip and making sure he understands the deal.

I do not feel comfortable going up without two more people who have at least some mountaineering experience.  If you are interested please let me know.

Thank you.

Bentley Wall

bentley_wall@yahoo.com

bwall2@uchicago.edu

330-221-7048 cell

• 10 months later...

Hello all "seasoned" climbers.

I may have a climbing window sometime this summer, 2023.  Just starting to look at summer vacation options, and may be able to fit a good climb in the mix.  I am from out of state, so once dates are set, there is little poential to change. That being said, I like a 5 day climbing window.  Day one climb to camp (Muir, Sherman, whatever). Day 2 to the summit with goal to spend at least 1 night on summit (in summit crater). Day 3 explore the summit zone, including ice caves, west crater, etc.  Day4 descend. Day 5 is there if weather gets in the way, or we chose to descend over 2 days, or we just get off mountain a day early.

I am not set on climbing Rainier.  Would entertain shorter climb, different peak.  Baker maybe?  Have been up Adams twice.

Allan.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I am not a geezer, but I would love to climb with one! I am based out of NH, but looking to book a flight to WA to do Rainier/Baker this summer- mid July or so. I have taken a course in crevasse rescue and been hiking the White Mountains in winter. I set up anchors for ice climbs most weekends and will be happy to spend a few days on the mountain. I am may book a guide for Baker if this doesn’t work out.

Cheers,

Christina
rambo.christina@gmail.com