[TR] Kaleetan Peak - South Route 10/25/2020

Trip: Kaleetan Peak - South Route

Trip Date: 10/25/2020

Trip Report:

As Kaleetan Peak is a pretty simple scramble in summer, I thought I'd put up a quick TR to update conditions as the Cascades move into winter.

I used the Denny Creek approach and the South Route to access and climb Kaleetan on the October 25. Snows from the 22/23rd and cold temps have brought the Snoqualmie region into Winter, although accumulations are modest thus far with plenty of exposed brush and rocks on the climbers trail to access Kaleetan's South ridge. From there, I found consistent ankle to calf-deep snow to the summit. The final 4th-class scramble pitch is in that awkward stage where details are nearly filled in, including most holds, but not enough to turn it into a straightforward snow climb. There was a decent crust for step kicking in the gully, but I had to excavate holds with a basket-less trekking pole as I left the axe in the car. Unless it all melts out again (quite possible), axe/crampons will be welcome additions for the final pitch to the summit for the rest of the season. 

What views! Chair, Bryant, and the Tooth were all looking downright beautiful, and distant views of Glacier, Kulshan, and Tahoma warmed my spirits in the 25F, 20 kt winds. 

Gear Notes:
Microspikes, trekking poles. Helmet, axe, & pons woulda made the last few hundred feet much more enjoyable.

Approach Notes:
Denny Creek

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Popular Days