One big magazine

num1mc

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/13/2020 at 7:53 PM, JayB said:

The way the market is going for print media I think it's only a matter of time before all outdoor publications coalesce into a single publishing syndicate. 

Isn't there a anti-monopoly law (old school, some of the original anti-trust stuff) that forbids single owner dominance of media?

15 hours ago, olyclimber said:

Print media is obsolete.  Publishers and advertisers have found a more direct paths to your brain that doesn't involve you reading or possibly translating anything.

I can not stand using online route guides while climbing.  (like mtn proj and others)  not only is it hard to navigate and find routes but staring at the damn phone while out there is against the spirit of climbing.  flipping a page is so much better than a swipe and touch and swipe and touch.  UGH.

On 11/15/2020 at 4:57 PM, max said:

Isn't there a anti-monopoly law (old school, some of the original anti-trust stuff) that forbids single owner dominance of media?

We've seen the future, and it's a single publication called "Series of Aspirational Outdoor Lifestyle Product Ads With an Editorial Viewpoint." Seriously though, I think that declining circulations and ad revenue will force publishers to consolidate lots of titles under one roof and eliminate as many redundant admin-type jobs as possible. Don't think it'd ever rise to a level of consolidation that would constitute an actual monopoly (not sure anyone would notice or care if it did) but when all is said and done I think there'll probably be way fewer titles operating as part of a handful of conglomerates. 

I can't bring myself to crack open the cover of any magazine that has been integrated into the intersectional borg and published articles like "It's Time to Confront the Latent White Heteronormativity Embedded in the Titanium Spork" so the number of outdoor magazines that I have any interest in reading is rapidly declining to zero.