Ptarmigan Traverse Questions?

selkirk

Hoping to make a go at the Ptarmigan next summer  :moondance:And was interested in folks  thoughts on gear?  Thinking 5 or 6 days likely mid july, likely with at least a summit or two a!ong the way.  Its a few pounds swing depending on decisions, but im totally paranoid about being underprepared, and also lazy about carrying extra weight!

Crampons aluminum or steel?  Dropping weight sounds great but only if the aluminums will hold up.

Slerping bag, synthetic or the new fancy waterproof-ish down? (do the coatings practically help?)  A light down bag sounds great, but extended use makes me nervous when there arent any easy exit points

Boots, light synthetics (La Sportiva Trangos or similar) or something more insulated?  Will the lighter ones be warm enough, thinking yes but im paranoid!

Water access?  TR show mostly camping near small lakes, so im thinking water filter as opposed to needing to melt snow.

Tent, free standing or is it possible to reliably stake out a tent at most of the sites?

TIA!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aluminum crampons and Trangos would be perfect, the traverse itself could and has been done in running shoes. Tent wise you want something that keeps the bugs out, most camps are quite delux. As far as choice of sleeping bag, whatever works. Check the weather obviously but I just line my stuffsack with a garbage bag and do my best to keep things dry.

you shouldn’t have to melt snow at any of the normal camps. 

I heard about the fire at the southern end. I wonder how that’ll change the final bit of trail...

I went this summer with a group of friends.  I would echo everyone else's advice.  A couple things to add, we only took 1L of water each and just collected more along the hike each day.  No need to carry more than a liter or melt snow.  Also on footwear I would advise against a real mountaineering boot.  Pretty much everybody took hiking boots.  The only 2 people to take mountaineering boots both ended up with a lot of blisters.  Finally a note on the Bachelor Creek trail.  Despite what some people tell you there is actually a trail there.  Yes it is overgrown and bushy but there is a trail.   You do not have to bushwhack, and if you are then you are off the trail.

Edited by mthorman

• 2 weeks later...

I no longer use water filter - for like years - just use two part water purification drops - much lighter and pack way smaller.
I also recommend getting device like the BD ATC Guide or the Petzl Reverso. Those devices would allow you to belay off the anchor when doing multi pitch climbs.
Hope you enjoy your trip out there

Edited by cowolter

• 1 month later...

Thank you for all the input!!!!  its a big help.

Been obsessively surfing gear options and finding ways to lighten my pack.  So many fun options!  Think I'm settling on, already have a good 4 lb 2x person tent(a little overkill maybe but no need to upgrade), definitely sounds like aluminum is the way to go, down 30 deg bag, with a puffy etc etc.  

Thats a great article on footwear.  I was leaning towardsTrangos but sounds like no reason not to go lighter.  To be honest havent worn the heavier boots since Rainier and that was years ago, just overkill 90%of the time.  No just need to stay in shape!