Anyone Coached by Uphill Athlete or Other?

Colin1984

Just wondering if anyone here has experience with Uphill Athlete's coaching program or other virtual coaching.  I'd really like to hear any firsthand feedback as I consider this rather expensive option (cheapest is $350/month). Sounds crazy to me when you consider their 4 month minimum, but then again how much have I spent on ultralight gear and how much better of an alpinist has it made me? If Alex Honnold and Cody Townsend are being coached by UA, why shouldn't I consider it? Is there a better/more meaningful value out there somewhere? Another virtual coaching or in-person program that won't break the bank? I don't compete, but I'm serious about training for PNW objectives next summer.  I've read Training for the New Alpinism and I like the taste of that kool-aid. All you crazies pulling long C2C missions while I'm carrying my bivy kit around........I wanna be a crazy too.

I'd check out: http://coastmountainskiing.com/coaching/

I don't know how much Eric charges for individual coaching but I purchased a training plan from him 4-5 years ago and thought it's a very similar approach to Uphill Athlete.  Lots of Zone 2 training volume.  He might be a good one to compare Uphill Athlete's fees and program and Eric's a good dude.

• Like 1

You could purchase an uphill athlete training plan. Paying a monthly fee is for people who really need hand holding... either because they aren't willing to put in the effort to read and learn themselves, they are lazy and rich, or they are really pushing their limits and need someone with lots of experience to hold them on that edge without going over. 

If you've read TFTNA and played around with training already you're most likely going to be able to coach yourself and see significant gains.

• Like 1

If you're really looking for coaching and interested mostly in aerobic development I recommend Trails and Tarmac https://trailsandtarmac.com/coaching/ as an alternative that is a bit cheaper. They mostly train ultra runners but I have a couple mountain guide friends who have worked with them and seen significant results. One of their owners Ryan Ghelfi is a former mountain guide and still does a lot of skimo stuff.

• Like 1

I'd say if a big names are using a service,  and you're considering it because they use it...well that is just advertising. i'd bet they don't pay for it, but use it because they got it for free. so consider that. and i'm sure they didn't get the were they are because of this service.

that said, sometimes it just comes down to what motivates you to reach your goals. if something like this can do it, and reading a book about relatively the same thing doesn't...maybe it is worth to you.

I know i for some odd reason push myself harder when others are around, but can't do that because of COVID.

I did purchase a coaching package a couple years ago when returning from a layoff after an injury.  I followed up with one of their standard plans.  I was not impressed by the coaching advice - they did not appear too interested in a pedestrian, older climber.  The off-the-shelf plan was good - I would pick up a copy of Training for the New Alpinism if you get or plan or not - you could figure things out on your own from there or use the book as a supplement to the off-the-shelf plan.  Good luck

Just to second what bedellympian said: unless you're super fit already,  I think if you just follow their basic program/structure and pay attention to your body,  a serious hobbyist can use the information they give for self coaching in their books and website. I saw a huge leap in my endurance this year following their basic program/structure/ philosophy for mountain/ ultra running from their newer book tftua. Before knees surgeries, following the basic structure in tftna gave me a big jump (for me) in what I could do for alpine climbing. It's pretty simple,  not gimmicky,  and it works for the vast majority us. 

I think you'll only get value for paying for a coach if you're really advanced climber and athlete (which maybe you are?) Otherwise I suspect you'll pay a lot for them to tell you to do what is in their books and website!

Just my opinion. They are super generous with putting the information out there for self coaching but you do have to put the time in to learn the material. Though once you learn it i feel like the prescription is simple. 

• 5 months later...

2 cents: If you read TFTNA and are not sure what to do next you probably want a coach.

If you have some ideas on what to do next you can always schedule a phone consult with UA ($50/30 minutes) and get their feedback on what you're planning on doing next. $50 every few months is cheaper than $350/month assuming you are self coaching correctly

• Thanks 1