Bozeman, MT or Victor/Driggs, ID

DPS

Hey gang,

My wife and I are starting to make retirement plans and thought now would be a good time to buy because of the current real estate market. We are looking at Victor/Driggs, ID and Bozeman, MT due to the relatively low cost of living and access to all things outdoors. I've been through both towns but haven't spent enough time in either to really get a feel for the local zeitgeist. Can someone give me the inside dirt on either location? Is there another town/state you would recommend that has a lower cost of living and access to the mountains?

Thanks,

Dan

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No knowledge but a simple couple of days in bOzeman, but I thought that things were pricey in Bozeman.   May be cheaper than here but more expensive than most other Rocky Mountain states. (Other than Colorado)

I remember driving through driggs to get to Targhee ski area.  Oh that ski area is lovely.  My kinda living.

wherever you finally land, can I crash on your sofa?

Edited by genepires

Home prices and cost of living would be significantly less expensive in Driggs.  I think the home pricing in Bozeman is comparable to the suburbs around Seattle.  That being said, Bozeman has a lot more going for it for restaurants and events.  I don't know how important that is for you and your wife but they're both towns worth checking out.  Bozeman has a good hospital and airport as well.  

Might check out Dillon MT while you're in the area.  Skiing, fishing, some climbing close by and pretty low cost of living.

I have friends in both locations. They all like where they are living and all get out. One thing to consider for the very long term and the unexpected short term is access to health care. I would also be looking at taxes for both, income and property.

Edited by ScaredSilly

Dan,  I live in Bozeman (lived in Seattle for 20+ years).   I agree with what others have said here...   I haven't spent much time in Driggs/Victor except on my way to/from the Tetons.   I would say that Victor/Driggs area is really up and coming.   They (Driggs) just got a new climbing gym that looks nice.   You are close to skiing at JH and GT & Tetons!.   Close to Yellowstone and the weather is probably a lot more mild down there then up here in Bozeman.    With BZN being a college town there is always a lot going on here - both good and bad.   Lots of climbing -- ice & rock minutes from town.   Skiing is great -- in general you need to like winter to live here.   They are long!   We get our first below zero cold snap and snow in October and snow sticks around from October usually through April.   Bozeman (or BozAngeles as locals are calling it now) is getting very pricey -- even the restaurants are charging Seattle prices.   not sure what is driving our popularity -- but usually a couple of winters here creates some turnover.   Happy to talk specifics if you shoot me a DM.

Hamilton, MT is the place to be. Excellent access to Granite high country with a good selection of more accessible boulders and crags. Big walls of Blodgett canyon visible from downtown. An hour from Missoula for airport/costco/big hospitals but also a good if small local hospital and thriving downtown supported in part by the NIH Ebola/Covid lab which kind of gives it a collage town without the undergrads feel and more year round residents then many tourists spots.

Endless ski tours to dream of and an excellent low key local ski area (lost trail). Epic mountain bike rides including a 440 mile gravel race  from here to driggs (the fitz barn).

Problem is its actually a really bad time to buy here (and the inland west in general). Realestate market is depressed in the cities but prices are up and things are selling like hot cakes because everyone has had the same idea as you.

Edited by ryanb

• 2 weeks later...

What about Boise? That has the advantages of a lower cost of living with decent amenities, particularly hospitals. I've stayed there many times and it always seemed like a nice place. How is the access to the Sawtooths and other climbing/skiing destinations?

Dan, do you know the former moderator Minx? She moved to the Boise area from North Bend some years ago and really likes it. She's more into horses these days than climbing. I could probably connect you via email if you're interested & she's willing. Boise is more of a real city than Bozeman, and it's quite a bit more mild in the winter, but mountains are nearby. Sawtooths are like an hour and a half, wonderful range. Never skied at the area outside Boise but I hear it's good. Basalt cragging along the snake near town. If you like limestone sport climbing then Hells Canyon is just the ticket. Summers are hot though.