[TR] Three O'Clock Rock - Silent Running 07/25/2020

tanstaafl

Trip: Three O'Clock Rock - Silent Running

Trip Date: 07/25/2020

Trip Report:

I've been working 60 hours a week lately and really really needed a day out to just maintain sanity; so der Rat and I scampered up Silent Running this weekend. I was cheered to see that people apparently still get out to Darrington, though I never seem to hear anyone but Otto talk about it anymore.  There were a *dozen* cars at the trailhead and we got scooped on Total Soul, our intended route, as two parties were just starting up it when we arrived.  There wasn't anyone else on the North Buttress though so we went ahead and did the route in front of us instead.  NIce and clean so obviously it's still getting climbed, unlike some of the obscurities to the right and left.

It was an Alzheimer's first ascent -- we did it together seven years ago but neither of us could even remember which pitches we led.  Still seven pitches of good fun and it was such a beautiful day that I, the woman who is always cold, was comfortable in a t shirt and cotton pants rolled up.

In contrast, all four climbers on Total Soul were wearing matching long sleeve hoodies with the hoods *on* all day long.  Maybe they were all from Arizona or something and found 70 degrees to be cold?  

Here's to more and better climbing and much, much less work for the rest of the summer.

Gear Notes:
two ropes, one small rack, ten draws

Approach Notes:
hike up the trail
  • Like 1
  • Rawk on! 2

Cy -- my partner actively hates photos and I normally just can't be bothered to take them, but just for you here is a typical granite-slabs-at-Darrington photo.  OK, this one is from SCW instead of Three O'Clock Rock and it's Ken Ford's ass, rather than Rolf's ass, but the principle holds: this is what slab climbing photos look like.  Enjoy!

Jason, yeah, same here -- both on the # of cars and the timing for climbing there; but the forecast said 68, and the North Buttress mercifully isn't south-facing, so we decided to chance it.  After making it a mere five pitches up Excalibur on a baking hot day before bailing, dehydrated, I like to think I learned my lesson.  Probably not though.

We definitely heard people (and a dog) around the corner on the South Buttress.  How busy was it over there?

darrington slab.jpg

14 hours ago, tanstaafl said:

In contrast, all four climbers on Total Soul were wearing matching long sleeve hoodies with the hoods *on* all day long.  Maybe they were all from Arizona or something and found 70 degrees to be cold?  

There's these new fangled "sun hoodies" that are advertised to keep people cool and are kind of a replacement for sunscreen.  Always get the matching set with your tech bros, duh!

3 hours ago, tanstaafl said:

huh.  Missed the fashion memo as usual.  I'm still using $3 men's 100% cotton dress shirts from Goodwill for keeping cool and as a replacement for sunscreen. 

Maybe that's why I have trouble finding partners?

Just so long as you match your friends, that's what matters. 

4 hours ago, Bronco said:

There's these new fangled "sun hoodies" that are advertised to keep people cool and are kind of a replacement for sunscreen.  Always get the matching set with your tech bros, duh!

At cascade pass this weekend I saw a group of three all with matching sun hoodies, thought it was kind of weird. Must be the new cool thing.