Big Tree 1 gets some love

Otto

The tat loaded on the anchor of pitch 3 has been removed, replaced with SS chains and rings. This is the higher of the two anchors, up and right of the dihedral containing most of the pitch. Sorry I didn't take a photo of the new steel.

Also, the pitch above the Big Tree has received new bolts, 3/8" SS of course, with Mad Rock hangers. No pictures of them either, sorry.

Two weeks ago I looked over at this pitch 5 after reaching the nearby top anchor of Shake, Rattle and Roll. I could not believe seeing a beautiful slab with Leeper hangers still on it. And a couple of SMC hangers, all on quarter-inch rusty bolts. Doesn't anyone go up there? So the next week I returned with Robin who sat patiently while I drilled out four of them. There were more to do, so I returned yesterday  via rope solo to get the last one out. While I was there, I tested my new uAscend and Microtraxion to top-rope the pitch (worked great, and safely!) and found it to be delightful, knobby climbing. It seemed to have some 5.9 at the start, and eases to 5.8 the rest of the way for a good 55m pitch. Thanks DavidW and MattP for putting this up.

P3 anchor_1961.jpg

P5 drilling_150131.jpg

P5 old bolts_1945.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Rawk on! 1

• 2 weeks later...

After looking more closely at the available topos and guidebook, I realized that pitch 5 is part of Big Tree 2000. In Weekend Rock, David Whitelaw clearly shows it so on his topo, and includes it in the text description of Big Tree 2000.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...