Liberty Ridge - Ski descent accident

ScaredSilly

Whoever called the LR the "classic climb" was wrong. I've climbed this ridgeĀ twice and each time my partner or I wereĀ an inch away from being hit by a flying rock.Ā  The PR is a much better andĀ  safer objective. There is nothing aesthetic about LR either.Ā  The bottom line, the LR is a boring dangerous place.Ā Ā 

Oleg, I was underwhelmed by the route also. We dodged large falling rocks from the toe (5th class climbing on an un-mortared pile of bricks) to Thumb Rock. I wonder, however, if PR was a 50 Classic Climb if there would be more accidents on that route.Ā 

I think LR is very condition dependent.Ā  My experience was from a long time ago, but we found excellent conditions in early June of 2002.Ā  It was quite cold and calm though.Ā  That said, I was almost taken out by a bowling ball around the black pyramid!Ā  However, I really liked the route and thought it well worth the 50 classic designation.Ā 

One needs put a few things in perspective about the classic routes such LR. If one thinks about the FA it was done in August. Ā 50Ā Classics was written in the late 70s.Ā Since then anthropomorphic climate change has greatly affectedĀ many of theseĀ routes. Ā InĀ the late 80s when I did LRĀ people regularly did the route through July. Rarely is that the case now.

What makes LR a classic over PR? That is pretty simple. LR has a bit of everything ... glacier travel, a climb to a high camp in a great position, long sectionsĀ of exposed climbing that does not end until right at the summit. PR has little of that, a long hike to a high camp,Ā at best 2000' of climbing, then a mostly leisurely 2000'Ā stroll to the summit.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Edited by ScaredSilly

SS. you make a good point. The routes in 50 Classics are not always the most difficult or most aesthetic, some are of a moreĀ historical significance.Ā  For example, is the WR the best route on Forbidden? Many would argue NW Arete is a much better route, however, WR hasĀ more history. I think as a young andĀ inexperiencedĀ climber I had unrealistic expectations for LR.

On 6/30/2020 at 3:01 PM, DPS said:

Oleg, I was underwhelmed by the route also. We dodged large falling rocks from the toe (5th class climbing on an un-mortared pile of bricks) to Thumb Rock. I wonder, however, if PR was a 50 Classic Climb if there would be more accidents on that route.Ā 

Dan, your LR experience sounds classic - Thumb Rock is falling apart and scarring people. I suspect some of thisĀ rock derbies turn intoĀ a meteor shower flying down the first pitch of the LR. I've never had any problems with the rockĀ fall ABOVE Thumb Rock, althoughĀ people didĀ get hit by the avalanches there.Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā 

8 hours ago, DPS said:

SS. you make a good point. The routes in 50 Classics are not always the most difficult or most aesthetic, some are of a moreĀ historical significance.Ā  For example, is the WR the best route on Forbidden? Many would argue NW Arete is a much better route, however, WR hasĀ more history. I think as a young andĀ inexperiencedĀ climber I had unrealistic expectations for LR.

Getting on the other side of Forbidden is a real pain though.Ā 

17 hours ago, ScaredSilly said:

One needs put a few things in perspective about the classic routes such LR. If one thinks about the FA it was done in August. Ā 50Ā Classics was written in the late 70s.Ā Since then anthropomorphic climate change has greatly affectedĀ many of theseĀ routes. Ā InĀ the late 80s when I did LRĀ people regularly did the route through July. Rarely is that the case now.

What makes LR a classic over PR? That is pretty simple. LR has a bit of everything ... glacier travel, a climb to a high camp in a great position, long sectionsĀ of exposed climbing that does not end until right at the summit. PR has little of that, a long hike to a high camp,Ā at best 2000' of climbing, then a mostly leisurely 2000'Ā stroll to the summit.Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I actually liked the PR better because of its remoteness and variety ofĀ the terrains

15 minutes ago, DPS said:

I've attempted PR a four times, but various factors skunked each attempt. Maybe next years.Ā 

We should team up Dan! I always wanted to do a 5.8 rock variation. The climb of the veteransĀ :blush:

On 6/30/2020 at 2:15 PM, OlegV said:

Whoever called the LR the "classic climb" was wrong. I've climbed this ridgeĀ twice and each time my partner or I wereĀ an inch away from being hit by a flying rock.Ā  The PR is a much better andĀ  safer objective. There is nothing aesthetic about LR either.Ā  The bottom line, the LR is a boring dangerous place.Ā Ā 

Keep in mind ... 30 ~ 40 years ago, Lib Ridge, Willis Wall and the rest of the north side of Rainier was a bit different animalĀ