High Ice movie

kmfoerster

Rumor has it that a certain someone at the Darrington Ranger station has a copy on VHS.   I've heard it is about as amazing as the trailer suggests.  There are still people around D-town who have stories about the film crew/shenanigans that went down during the making of the movie.

Thanks for the reminder to work my connections to get a viewing!

I saw excerpts from that at a party once; the wife of the guest of honor introduced the film by saying, "You don't need to be a climber to appreciate how ridiculous this is, you just need a basic understanding of the laws of physics."  Imagine someone flinging themselves down on a completely flat snowfield and then making progress across the snow by plunging the head of their ice ax into the snow and dragging themselves six inches at a time.  It was spectacular.

On 6/28/2020 at 12:17 PM, kmfoerster said:

This was just brought to my attention. Why has the climbing community kept this secret from me!?

We have been trying to purge our souls of this terrible atrocity.  Once again the door to the crypt has been opened.  What happens next is on your head, Grasshopper.

Edited by Marko
  • That's funny! 1

I remember watching it on TV in 1980 when I was 10 years old. My first exposure to climbing things other than trees. 

High lights I recall:

Dropped backpack containing all climbing gear. 

Long fall traps man in rock pocket, from which he could not be retrieved until he was frozen solid. 

A person can pull a helicopter into a mountain with a sling rather than get pulled off the ledge.