[TR] Banks Lake - various 06/20/2020

Trip: Banks Lake - various

Trip Date: 06/20/2020

Trip Report:

There is still solitude to be had if you stay away from the Icicle Creek/Frenchman's shitshow(s) -- this weekend at Banks, we literally had the entire crag to ourselves on Saturday (well, except for the two guys who drove up the coulee in an ORV, saw us climbing, said, “We can’t shoot here,” and drove away, bless them) and saw only two other parties on Sunday. 

Should have taken both pairs of rock shoes; it was my first time rock climbing since early February and by 5 pm yesterday I could barely stand on my feet anymore and we had to quit.  Didn’t climb anything noteworthy but sooo nice to get out and breathe the desert air.

Drive home was even fine except for the usual 5 – 20 mph disaster between Roslyn and Easton.  I don’t understand why that particular stretch always sucks so much, but it does.

Gear Notes:
rope, rack, slings/draws

Approach Notes:
I-90 to SR 283 to SR 17
  • Rawk on! 2

• 2 weeks later...

Banks is awful. The sun is oppressive, the mosquitos horrid, and the wasps swarm from every flared crack you climb. Plus all the holds are slopping in the same direction and the few jugs explode at the slightest pull. Also, the locals try to run you down with their ATVs or shoot you off the wall. 

you got lucky finding banks lake on the only week of the year this shit doesn’t happen. 😏🤫