Camp / bivy sites in Inspiration Backcountry Zone

jared_j

I've never  been further back than Eldorado up this way, and am trying to assess my options if the walk-up permit situation doesn't give me the flexibility of getting a permit in the Eldorado backcountry zone.    Is bivying somewhere in the "Inspiration" backcountry zone gonna totally suck due to the topography, wind exposure, etc?  Maybe somewhere near that col at the end of the Eldorado's North Ridge and Tepeh Towers (as it's labeled on the topo map I'm looking at, the "southwest-most" Tepeh Towers immediately ESE of the Dorado Needle).  Is this gonna suck?

The goal is to spend a couple of nights and wander around (Eldorado, Dorado Noodle, Austera, Tepeh Towers, Klawatti, maybe Austera).   

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I feel that usually wind tends to get ripping through col's depending on the orientation. I'm remembering the wind that was coming through the Eldo/Dean Col this last November and its about the same orientation. Would not want to camp there lol. But maybe there is a flatter section near Tepeh towers thats also blocked by the wind. If you're going to be there a couple of nights maybe bring an any shovel blade to dig out a tent platform in a wind free spot on the glacier?

IMG_0660.thumb.jpeg.09c8e9f380dcbbbd038521e054158849.jpeg

There is a toilet at the Eldo bivy, which might save you some blue bagging. Check w rangers or others on whether or not it's currently available. The Eldo bivy also has running water relatively close, though perhaps not this early in the season. On the flip side, the Eldo site can be a high traffic area and won't feel as remote as northern reaches of the glaciers. It can also be harder to get permits there.

My very limited expereince in the zone you're talking about was a couple of years ago when we went to/from Early Morning Spire. We decided to camp at Eldo for a variety of reasons. There were several flat spots past Eldo on the way to our target couloir that would have made fine campsites. Some were more protected than others. I don't recall any having running water near them, but I wasn't really looking. If conditions are good and your permit allows, you could just go walk out there and stop at the spot that seems the best. Theh further North you go the more wild/remote/private your experience.